interior detail question

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Most of my experience has been with the later MK1a and Mk2 so I have a question for the folks with early cars. I'm installing the rear deck padded occasional seat... originally this car had carpet. I do have the original heavy tarpaper and jute pad and it doesn't have a holes for snaps at the rear portion of the platform, so I am wondering how the carpet (original) or the padded seat is secured at the back end. The front has 4 snaps which I have installed. Is the pad simply secured (held in place) by the folding top door?

PB211602.JPG

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Most of my experience has been with the later MK1a and Mk2 so I have a question for the folks with early cars. I'm installing the rear deck padded occasional seat... originally this car had carpet. I do have the original heavy tarpaper and jute pad and it doesn't have a holes for snaps at the rear portion of the platform, so I am wondering how the carpet (original) or the padded seat is secured at the back end. The front has 4 snaps which I have installed. Is the pad simply secured (held in place) by the folding top door?

View attachment 18622
Mine has the rear snaps x 2

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you pull up the TE/AE web site and click on the judging guidelines for stock Tigers you'll see the photo for the cover shows two snaps. These guidelines were put together by several clubs.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, the 2 snaps on the rear of the horizontal parcel shelf are the factory setup, so no need for you to check it up.. only 1 respondent seemed to be confused by a question about originality vs how they choose to do customisation

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, the 2 snaps on the rear of the horizontal parcel shelf are the factory setup, so no need for you to check it up.. only 1 respondent seemed to be confused by a question about originality vs how they choose to do customisation
The photos on the TE/AE site took quite a while for the club members to send in photos and also for the folks from the various clubs to put it all together. It's used for judging and is a great resource for a new owner of either a Tiger or an Alpine. If they have questions as far as how it was, a photo is worth a thousand words.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The photos on the TE/AE site took quite a while for the club members to send in photos and also for the folks from the various clubs to put it all together. It's used for judging and is a great resource for a new owner of either a Tiger or an Alpine. If they have questions as far as how it was, a photo is worth a thousand words.
Robert,

I'm well aware of the effort that has gone into the TEAE guide, I as well as others on the forums have been quite involved in it... And it's still a work in progress.

It is a great resource and there to help give people the correct answers as to how the cars were when they left the factory. Hence a preference for photos of original unmolested cars.

One of the reasons it has been developed was to help give people correct information as there is misinformation around from some long term owners who will tell people anything that is on on their car is correct as they have owned them since new , or that's the way they do it....etc. the kind of people that will claim any aftermarket part is correct as that's what they bought back in the day... Or if they modify something it's right because they did it.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert,

I'm well aware of the effort that has gone into the TEAE guide, I as well as others on the forums have been quite involved in it... And it's still a work in progress.

It is a great resource and there to help give people the correct answers as to how the cars were when they left the factory. Hence a preference for photos of original unmolested cars.

One of the reasons it has been developed was to help give people correct information as there is misinformation around from some long term owners who will tell people anything that is on on their car is correct as they have owned them since new , or that's the way they do it....etc. the kind of people that will claim any aftermarket part is correct as that's what they bought back in the day... Or if they modify something it's right because they did it.
It's a great resource for those that are restoring a car. With the quality of the cars at a United on the east coast , those of us that do judging of the cars have something to fall back on to differentiate the details of how well the car has been restored as well as how near it is to original if necessary.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the kind words about the judging guides. Both the Tiger and Alpine guide took years of work and the contributions of many people. I wish the Tiger manual had more detail, but that was our first effort. Making updates/changes is a time consuming process, so we have been saving a bunch and hope to get them done this winter.

As for the snaps on the rear deck pad, the Tiger manual only provides a photo, which shows the two rear snaps. The Alpine guide provides more info but failed to mention the snaps and focused primarily on the heat sealed seams and pleats.

Thanks