Interior Paint Wrap Up

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just finishing off the interior paint.
Added a coat of Rustoleum Satin Black with the roller to everything as the base coat for the trunk spatter paint. This is important as the trunk paint is not water proof and will not seal the primer. Also the black undercoat with the rolled on Satin Black provides a tough layer on top of the primer.

After that was done, car masked off with a lot of paper as the trunk spatter paint goes everywhere, so need to cover everything up to save a lot more clean up later.

That layer dries for a good day or so, and finally the Rustoleum Clear Satin to seal up the trunk paint. I do a bunch of coats to make it more durable. It also fills in some of the roughness of the trunk spatter. A few bits of touch up and all done. Last 4 pics are before and after of the roll cage prior to satin clear, and after satin clear applied. Finish looks nice to me, but hey, your mileage may vary as always.

On to the dashboard area. I'm not going to use a dash pad, so will be painting that area. Not yet sure how it will go, but likely a spatter paint finish, with a top coat of flat black to prevent any reflection or glare. Will play that one by ear until I get some paint down in the next couple of days.

20230913_141052.jpg

20230913_141056.jpg

20230913_141115.jpg

20230913_141328.jpg

20230913_150733.jpg

20230913_150739.jpg

20230913_150747.jpg

20230920_130949.jpg

20230920_131029.jpg

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice cage, is it built for a specific class?
Not specifically, but should pass most specs by design and materials used. I think the only think that I might still add is a bar under the dash, but couldn't do it when the cage went in as I didn't know how it was all going to fit. Not a huge one. The main idea was make a safe cage, but also one you could get out of the car. The Tiger being small is tricky. But should be good and also hold the chassis together ;)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not specifically, but should pass most specs by design and materials used. I think the only think that I might still add is a bar under the dash, but couldn't do it when the cage went in as I didn't know how it was all going to fit. Not a huge one. The main idea was make a safe cage, but also one you could get out of the car. The Tiger being small is tricky. But should be good and also hold the chassis together ;)
I'm a little surprised you didn't extend the rear struts down into the legs in the boot near the pickups for the leaf springs.

Quite a few of the racers do that ( re stiffening the shell for handling reasons, also the point where the rear 1/3 joins the middle is somewhat of a pivot point in the way the cars are designed and leads to cracking)

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm a little surprised you didn't extend the rear struts down into the legs in the boot near the pickups for the leaf springs.

Quite a few of the racers do that ( re stiffening the shell for handling reasons, also the point where the rear 1/3 joins the middle is somewhat of a pivot point in the way the cars are designed and leads to cracking)
They do head into the boot, not quite over the hole with the access to the shackle, few inches up from it. Should be OK. Once thing I was going to do was add an additional bar in front of the fuel cell, but not sure I have enough room for much. Should get the job done, and better then stock hopefully. Moving the bar further back made the angles on the cage odd, so it ended up where it's at.