Is it time to rebuild my rack?

zuluking

Bronze forum user
there seems to be more effort needed to turn my car left and right. Is this a sign Rack needs a rebuild? Tire inflation,Tie Ends look good. Have not changed or checked rack oil so tomorrow i will check it out. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Frank

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
there seems to be more effort needed to turn my car left and right. Is this a sign Rack needs a rebuild? Tire inflation,Tie Ends look good. Have not changed or checked rack oil so tomorrow i will check it out. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Frank

Check your ball joints.. if they are running out of grease.. if the boots have cracked and let debris in they might be seizing.

dude234

Gold forum user
I would check the condition of the rubber bellows at either end of the rack. If cracked, then oil in the rack may have leaked out. You can check oil level by removing on the passenger side the small plate (held on by two bolts) and see if its dry. You do not want the drive the car with the rack dry because of possible damage to the rack and pinion.

If you replaced the boots (or want to add oil) then jack up the front of the car, remove both wheels, lower the car to normal height, remove the rack plate and slowly add oil (the oil type and weight may be in the work shop manual) while moving the steering wheel back and forth. I don't know the exact amount the rack holds but it is not very much. Make a new gasket or use form-a-gasket and bolt the plate back on the rack. Put the tires back on and go for a drive.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Finding Friction

Read all the above comments and act accordingly. If it is still sticky, jack up the toy and disconnect the tierod ends (not easy). If the rack is still sticky, it wants attention from an experienced hand. If the wheels don't move L & R easily by hand, then a ball joint or two need attention. amen