Is there a general consensus on wheel size for a MK1a Tiger

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another Alternative

I guess period correct bias-ply white walls on factory steel wheels would not be a popular choice among the posters on this thread.

steven

Gold forum user
Hi Michael, didn't you let a visitor drive your Alpine across the small pond?
Steven

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Moondoggie

To be honest, driving with bias-ply tires is a nightmare. Compared to modern radials, it is like trying to drive with bicycle tires. The bias-ply tires only go on when originality is an absolute must.

The rest of the time I go with LAT 70 repros and 185x70x13 tires. Probably not enough footprint for the monsters you and Duke drive but fine for the near stock 220hp of my Tiger...and still able to allow for some fun.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tyres & Risks

From the memories file: Thinking back to the 60's ( I do remember some of it), the speed risks & wild drifts we all took on winding Nor'east roads of the era with older tire technologies were somewhat suicidal! Basic environmental learning; we coped and dealt with what we had to work with . . . . . .:eek:

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
I still have my original 13" LAT wheels and still ran low 10's @135.
But now have changed to Rodlites 15" much safer and room for the bigger brakes.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
You guys are great

This thread might have gone off the tracks, i.e. a fight forum! Nice when the admin has nothing to do!

Rick

Yes I drove it almost like I stole it.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Color

Whatever you want - there were about 10 of these at Amelia this year - designed by Stutz and forerunner of the Bearcat - a real hot car in the day...

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks everyone

Sorry about not responding to any of the replies but I've been out of state visiting family and just got back. Want to thank everyone that replied and I got a chuckle or two from a couple of the responses. Yes Moondoggie I did see your Tiger at Bill Martins shop and I have to say I never got to the wheels as I was too busy drooling all over your car. It is, in a word beautiful. I will keep the current LAT 70's that are on the car now but may go with a Panasport 14 inch wheel for a backup set of wheels and eventually tires. I will need to research the tire availability in that size. Right now I am in the process of going over the car as best I can and determining any priorities that need to be addressed besides a couple of the obvious. I believe the prior owner took very good care of the car and I am having a blast learning about Tigers/ Thanks again for your replies and help.
Dave

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I have to say I never got to the wheels as I was too busy drooling all over your car. It is, in a word beautiful. Dave

Dave

Thanks for the kind remarks...Here is a picture of the wheel and since that picture was taken I changed the wheel rims to move the offset out another half inch. The advantage of 16" wheels allows for much bigger brakes and those wilwoods are six piston calipers. Duke might get me by a foot at a quarter mile but I can get him by hundred feet from a 100 mph to zero

Moondoggie

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Back in the day, the Hollywood Sports Car and Sports Car Forum Tiger both ran 13" wheels. Both started with 13" Halibrands which both teams quickly broke. Rootes had Doane make racing wheels. SCF had trouble using those and instead installed two piece CT aluminum wheels.

Today the HSC car has sets of both 13" and 14" wheels. The SCF Tiger only runs 13" as does Tom Sakai. Dale runs 14" wheels since his brake package will not fit inside 13" wheels. Tom and the SCF Tiger run 60 profile tires. Dale has been racing a lower profile (55 maybe?). Lower profiles help cornering but the added sidewall stiffness effects ride quality.

Back in the day wheels cost a little over $100 for an entire set. Since Shelby's 1964 Tiger racing efforts unloaded about $30K from Lord Rootes, I imagine Carroll could have squeezed in a set of 15" wheels if he had wanted to. When Doane Spencer fabricated and homologated the HSC wheels in 1965 he could have opted for another size but chose to stay with 13". Perhaps both Carroll and Doane decided that raising the CG was not the hottest idea for for a road race car. One thing is for sure, Doane wasn't the kind of guy who missed a chance to improve performance.

I've also kept 13" wheels on our street Tigers. However I only use aftermarket wheels due to the historic breaking problems encountered by the stock Tiger wheels.

bt
at the beach

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Moondoggie, do they continue spinning when you full up at traffic lights? :p

Ha Ha no they don't and innovation is not for everyone. I have had my Tiger
in the Concours on the Avenue here in Carmel for the past two years and it will again be in the new Tiger only Class again this year. Those wheels pull in an amazingly large crowd with thumbs up from everyone. The last two years I have been placed in British sports and staged between XKE's and Maserati's
and people just walk passed them to get a close look at the Tiger.. Stock is kind of boring in a Tiger ....

Moondoggie

tiger260

Gold forum user
Variety is the spice of life.

There's nothing more boring than a row of cars that look exactly the same.

dstephns

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Variety is the spice of life.

There's nothing more boring than a row of cars that look exactly the same.

Absolutely!:D
Which is one of the reasons I like Tigers. Most have had some type of mod done which makes things interesting in a show. Yet I can still appreciate an all original car.

Dave

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ha Ha no they don't and innovation is not for everyone. I have had my Tiger
in the Concours on the Avenue here in Carmel for the past two years and it will again be in the new Tiger only Class again this year. Those wheels pull in an amazingly large crowd with thumbs up from everyone. The last two years I have been placed in British sports and staged between XKE's and Maserati's
and people just walk passed them to get a close look at the Tiger.. Stock is kind of boring in a Tiger ....

Moondoggie

I would love to see a slightly higher profile tyre on your fronts.. to me the wheel fills out the guard but there is a lot of space around the permiter between the tyre and the guard... the wheel is filling out the guard.. the tyre not.. looks a bit like a space saver :p