JAL 700002, MK-2

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just out of the Service in 1973 I was driving a nice MGB after someone had exposed me to the world of sports cars. It wasn’t long before I was unhappy with power output of the stock MG, so I bought a second MG & was in the process of stuffing a 289 Ford into it. It wasn’t going well & when I asked a friend for help, he replied “Why don’t you just buy a Tiger?” I said. “What’s that?” I found the Tiger in the local paper for $1800 & sold the MGBs. Boy, that 36 years went fast!
The car was only six years old but well used. The only MK-2 trim still on the car was on the rockers. In the first few years, I did the usual modifications of 289HP heads, Crane Cam, headers, F4B, Hurst, etc. There were not too many other Tigers in Florida that I knew of & I did not even know that mine was a MK2. After I realized that the trim for my car was different, I set out to find it. Luckily, I stumbled onto another local MK2 owner who needed a front fender. Both of our cars were only daily-drivers then, so to him the fender was more important than all of his Mk2 trim. Originally Carnival Red it was last repainted in 1978. It was my daily-driver until 1982 when I got my first “second” car. The engine & tranny have never been out of the car or rebuilt, someday I hope to rebuild it properly, but for now it still takes me where I want to go.
My wife & I have five other vehicles between us now, but why do friends who have known us for years always ask if we still have our Tigers? I will have mine until the day I die! How about you?

Attachments

• Tiger-History scan.jpg
    Tiger-History scan.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 630

rootes1

Silver forum user
REGISTRY UPDATE

Clark, Any chance I could get you to confirm the letters and numbers stamped into the center casting of your MK II's back axle? They're normally found on the bottom, forward of the drain plug where I've rubbed in the white marking pen.
Imge013e.jpg

You'll probably have to do some digging, but it would be nice to clear up some confusion in the Jensen Ledgers concerning the actual number assigned to your car.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rear end numbers..

Norman,

The numbers you requested as best as I can read them are: M66 81

Is this what you expected? What do you conclude?

Thanks!

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's interesting. BON has that car's rear end listed as M66 8. Maybe Lucas visited the Jensen factory the day that car was produced and the light wasn't too good...or the '1' wasn't stamped as firmly as the other numbers and somebody missed it! What did you find out, Norm?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rear end stampings

Interesting enough; while restoring a MK II body for a Customer, we beaded the rear end prepping for powdercoat. I could barely make out the M 66 and no other notations would surface using the usual staining tricks. The boys must have been nursing hangovers that day and were avoiding any loud stamping noises. r

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here is an update of this original post I made 4 years ago. Hard to believe how fast our lives are passing by now. Now it is 40 years with the car & I notice my friend Bill Bullpit of Atlanta bought his car in 1973 also. Cool.

All these comments about the original rear axle, I sheepishly failed to mention that my original MK-2 unit is not in the car, here is what happened. In 1986 I had the rear axle completely rebuilt, added a Torsen-Gleason L.S. & 3:31 gears. I was unhappy with the gear ratio with the stock tranny on the highway & the L.S. had an excessive amount of slop. I drove it like that until 1994 when I replaced my original rear end with a stock open 2:88 out of a MK-1. Even though I have an aftermarket rear sway bar, I was not able to use the Panhard Rod as most of you know the position is reversed on a MK-2. Luckily, I kept my original MK-2 rear these past 19 years, as it is in another local driveline shop right now getting another go around. With the advent of Bill Martin’s 5-speed conversion, I am able to retain that 3:31 gear & I am replacing the Torsen with an Auburn Gear “Pro” L.S. Returning the MK-2 rear to it’s rightful place, allows the use of the Panhard Rod again too.

Below is a current picture of us cruising into a local show, the car is still wearing it’s 1978, Imron paint. The trimmed front wheel arch moulding is the way I got it so many decades ago, not perfect, but still glad to have it.

Also below is a picture of me with my “finally after 40 years” rebuild of the stock 289 motor. Balanced, blueprinted, professionally built, I wasn’t looking for a race motor, just a docile driver. With just 9.2-C.R., it peaked at about 274 h.p. / 300 ft.lbs. of torque. If you Google the name “Byron Koury”, you will find that he is a well known engine builder that runs his Dyno quite conservatively as many stock car racers have found out as they are taken out by his engines reporting 100 hp less, than their engines. Dynos can be adjusted to make any number the buyer wants, 274 hp isn’t a lot these days, but I am sure it is a real number.

Between the fresh motor, Bill’s TKO-600 5-spd, & the rear end upgrade, I think I will have an even bigger smile on my face than I have had for the last 40 years!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Clark,

Did they trim the front wheel arch mold on both sides? I would guess they moght have done it if they trimmed the front valence to clear wider tyres as so many sunbeams have done.. but on a MKII it would affect the molding.

Greta looking car and ownership story... how do you find the shift on the TKO?

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, both sides of the moulding were trimmed when I got them in 1980, but it didn't matter to me as I had trimmed the wheel opening myself around 1975 I guess, to fit a set of WHITE-LETTERED Michelin-X 195/70 size tires. Anyone remember those tires? I have an old picture of the car with them on it somewhere.

As for the TKO-600 shifting ease, no one except maybe "Moondoggie" knows yet, as the tranny isn't available yet. I'm just waiting in line for it, so I can put the car back together. I pulled the motor last June & of course in 40 years, this is the longest time I have gone without driving the old girl.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
To answer the question regarding shifting ease...it is like greased lighting !!
There are a couple of mods that need to be done by the supplier as a part
of the Tiger Kit. Carbon fiber lined blocking rings are installed
on gears 2,3,4. Also a 1-2 shift rail mod with a deeper neutral shift rail grove
is done to give better shifting up to 7,000 rpm !!! The final side shifting parts are in production now and as soon as my tranny get's the final mod parts installed and get's back in my Tiger we should be ready to release the kit.
We are just a few weeks away...

Moondoggie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
on gears 2,3,4. Also a 1-2 shift rail mod with a deeper neutral shift rail grove
is done to give better shifting up to 7,000 rpm !!! The final side shifting parts are in production now and as soon as my tranny get's the final mod parts installed and get's back in my Tiger we should be ready to release the kit.

Moondoggie

thanks for the update.. are you going to road test it a little more before release? All sounds good so far.. there are 2 tigers in AU using the TKO.. but the shifter comes out the center.. not original location.. they are very happy with them.

Also Moon.. as fun as usernames are.. you have a real one I can call you by?

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Moondoggie

Moondoggie,

Did your tranny get these "final mod" parts installed yet?

Thanks...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wooph

thanks for the update.. are you going to road test it a little more before release? All sounds good so far.. there are 2 tigers in AU using the TKO.. but the shifter comes out the center.. not original location.. they are very happy with them.

Also Moon.. as fun as usernames are.. you have a real one I can call you by?

Didn't "Lunar Canine" get mentioned a while back ??