Lat-70 Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

5.0 Chero

Bronze forum user
I just found a pair of what I believe are original Lat-70 wheels. What are the value of these wheel in good shape?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It depends what you mean by "original"

The LAT 70 wheels were not exclusive to sunbeam, they were actually made by an American wheel company and were offered on corvairs and a few other cars. Therefore they appear with several offsets and sizes. There were also several runs of them done with detail differences. If you can post a picture of the centre of the front of the wheel where the mounting point for the false spinners is we can assses if they are right for the sunbeams. Also do you have the matching spinners for them? What size are the wheels and what bolt pattern, are they 13x5.5 with a 4x4.25 pattern?

5.0 Chero

Bronze forum user
Yes they are 13 x 5.5 and are 4 x 4.25 bolt lug pattern I will get some pictures and add them. On the back they have "Patent Pending" "SRC 1300" AND "1300 5.5"
Sorry no tri bar spinners or "knockoffs"

5.0 Chero

Bronze forum user
dsc00022.jpg

dsc00023.jpg

dsc00024.jpg

dsc00025.jpg

dsc00026.jpg

dsc00027.jpg

dsc00028.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
From Experience

The costs to restore them far exceeds any value. Then there's the casting integrity factor that existed with them . I had two of them fail back in the day. . . .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They do look like original wheels, but would need blasting and polishing. They are also missing the spinners.

Randy's point about the integrity is valid, though the lat70 are better than the lat9 pie cutters. Value would depend on buyer, keep in mind repros are available from sunbeam specialties, so that might give you a base to start from.

5.0 Chero

Bronze forum user
The costs to restore them far exceeds any value. Then there's the casting integrity factor that existed with them . I had two of them fail back in the day. . . .

They do look like original wheels, but would need blasting and polishing. They are also missing the spinners.

Randy's point about the integrity is valid, though the lat70 are better than the lat9 pie cutters. Value would depend on buyer, keep in mind repros are available from sunbeam specialties, so that might give you a base to start from.

The cost to restore would be a couple of hours of labor I have a blasting cabinet and a lathe they have no major curb rash they would be easy to clean up. Thanks for the info
Carl

Erich

Gold forum user
Measure the diameter for the spinner. 3 inches, repro spinners are available at SS.

2 9/16, spinners are unobtanium.

Warren

Gold forum user
Value

relative term to be sure. I was shocked to see a wheel shop on the edge of a very rough part of town. The place was like a black lung disease coal mine. The price was unbelievably low and their was not a dust mask or respirator in sight. Your 13''s look fine and it's hard to know if this is a for sale or truly info wanted posting. It would not cost you a bunch to pretty them up with your own elbow grease to be sure, but at the end of the day you have uncertainty as to how safe they are. Their are several threads about the lack of 13" tires, and the only ones have a cluttered sidewall and a all season tread, just what you want on a Tiger :rolleyes:

These are worth the most to a guy who has the smaller spinners if these are the proper center size. They are also good as a display set of rollers.

5.0 Chero

Bronze forum user
relative term to be sure. I was shocked to see a wheel shop on the edge of a very rough part of town. The place was like a black lung disease coal mine. The price was unbelievably low and their was not a dust mask or respirator in sight. Your 13''s look fine and it's hard to know if this is a for sale or truly info wanted posting. It would not cost you a bunch to pretty them up with your own elbow grease to be sure, but at the end of the day you have uncertainty as to how safe they are. Their are several threads about the lack of 13" tires, and the only ones have a cluttered sidewall and a all season tread, just what you want on a Tiger :rolleyes:

These are worth the most to a guy who has the smaller spinners if these are the proper center size. They are also good as a display set of rollers.

They will be for sale on Ebay after I clean them up I was just wondering what a fair price was to ask I could not find any that have sold or any used ones for sale to base the price on

Status
Not open for further replies.