LAT Fiberglass Hoods

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
General FYI

Fiberglass always needs trimming & fitting. There is a certain dimensional shifting during temp changes (direct sunlight/shade/etc.). I've noted (in some) that a third set of bump stops installed help limit flexing at speed. Just sayin'

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you elaborate Randy? Where do you put the third set of bump stops?
Do you have any pictures?
Thanks! -Kevin

Warren

Gold forum user
Hoods, caution may contain opinion.

I have seen a alleged original hood off the car it was fit to. It's glass work looks like it was done by the same sloppy welders who built the car :)

I know that a couple of guys have used the two piece hood, inner and outer. putting them together and then fitting the hood must be a real PITA.

It's already hard taking big belt sander to grind down the edges and Applying the "measure twice cut once," LoL practice . It's more like cut measure, refit many many times being careful to not cut too much. There's a thread on fitment here.

Then there's the dark colored cars with glass hoods that move by themselves on a hot day. At speed or at a rumbly idle they lift and jiggle like a skirt in the breeze, if you like that look if not put in hood pins.

Dale suggested using panel adhesive "glue" to limit the arc and movement of the f/g in the sun or to get it to stay where you want it. I spent hours centering the latch area with a wooden block and pitting barbell weights to match the scuttle curve. When the f/g gets hot the hood goes back to it's previously formed mold shape. The quick fix is slap on hood pins as previously mentioned. The other fix is to cut or drill areas to insert caulking gun tip or bend to fit and then hope it stays put. What I'd like to see is a metal strip built in that'll help the hood remember how you bend it. I have found that building in metal has it's own problems though.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bumpity Bump

Can you elaborate Randy? Where do you put the third set of bump stops?
Do you have any pictures?
Thanks! -Kevin

I just located the third set equidistant between the originals. A skinny jamb nut allows for simple barnyard tension adjustments. After a few years of dealing with the glass, we made em' out of metal. My current opinion is install the metal side vents for true function and forget the center lump that lets rain on the distributor with no other real benefit.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I always wanted a LAT hood but was unwilling to put up with the various issues.

In this latest makeover, I bought the LAT scoop off FleaBay, had the triangular vents made, and installed in a stock steel hood.
Looks great, fits, and will not move about.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I always wanted a LAT hood but was unwilling to put up with the various issues.

In this latest makeover, I bought the LAT scoop off FleaBay, had the triangular vents made, and installed in a stock steel hood.
Looks great, fits, and will not move about.

This might be a good way to go... Do you have any pictures?
Thanks, -Kevin

Hoghead

Gold forum user