Lat Hood Skin

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A friend bought the skin (top part) of Lat Hood, had the skin of his hood removed and glued the fiberglass skin to the metal frame of his hood. He says the hood is very solid and easier to fit than the complete fiberglass hood. I ordered one from USBODY in Fla ($450), and I have a Alpine hood that fits my MK1 to use for a base. Takes 3 months to get the order. Has anyone else done this? My friend is very satisfied. Cliff

KenF

Gold forum user
I've done that with a 66 Mustang hood. Cut the skin off, and use the steel frame for a GT-350 fiberglass hood. Better hinge bolt threads too. Usually the steel frame is dropped in the mold and the fiberglass is wrapped around the edges, but I guess you could just glue it and cleanup the edges. Wonder what kind of glue your friend used. If you have the choice of woven or chopped fiberglass for the new hood, take woven, IMHO.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim at USBODY recommended 3M Panel Bonding. He didn't give a choice of woven or chopped fiberglass. I'll call and ask what fiberglass they use. I'll try to get some pictures, Cliff

Warren

Gold forum user
Got several core hoods on West coast. We also have a local guy here who'd make the top and maybe more. I'm using the share feature to send this to him. Always nice to get some else other as a fwd email.

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are some pictures of my friend Keith's Tiger with the hood skin. LatHood1.jpgLatHood2.jpgLatHood3.jpgLatHoodjpg.jpg

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Got several core hoods on West coast. We also have a local guy here who'd make the top and maybe more. I'm using the share feature to send this to him. Always nice to get some else other as a fwd email.
Here is the info on my project. At this point I have molds made to replicate the stock hood. Next version will be with venting near the radiator, like the Daytona Coupe. If anybody wants, loan me a LAT hood and I’ll gladly make a copy/mold of it for later use. Labor and materials to be discussed when needed.

F1A6A647-3799-4ED0-9F5C-C7505DB5DD76.jpeg

82A5D1AC-7DF9-4DE9-903E-8DBE6B68DE1B.jpeg

B0B749B6-8A07-40B0-95A3-6A06D17110E1.jpeg

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I took a steel hood, cut triangles in like Randy shows, and bonded on the LAT scoop. No fitment issues like every LAT hood I have ever seen, and cheap as chips.
Bonding a complete skin to a steel structure is a good idea too

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here is the info on my project. At this point I have molds made to replicate the stock hood. Next version will be with venting near the radiator, like the Daytona Coupe. If anybody wants, loan me a LAT hood and I’ll gladly make a copy/mold of it for later use. Labor and materials to be discussed when needed.

View attachment 14357
Actually the shelby BP race tiger experimented with a bonnet vent behind the radiator like the gt40/ daytona early in its race development.

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Actually the shelby BP race tiger experimented with a bonnet vent behind the radiator like the gt40/ daytona early in its race development.
I’m working on this design to add cooling at low speeds and in traffic. My car runs just fine when moving but a bit warm in traffic. Letting the air out before it has to pass the headers and exit might be a better idea. If not, there are many other options.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I’m working on this design to add cooling at low speeds and in traffic. My car runs just fine when moving but a bit warm in traffic. Letting the air out before it has to pass the headers and exit might be a better idea. If not, there are many other options.
I think the horn hole blocking plates are probably a more effective solution for stop start and low speed over heating issues

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think the horn hole blocking plates are probably a more effective solution for stop start and low speed over heating issues
I’ve done that already. I figure every bit helps. Now to fit the prototype hood and see where the vent will go.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have both LAT hood and fender vents. Only good for a couple of degrees at most at idle, but every little bit helps. I find it is all about air flow through the rad, so horn block plates, fan, fan shroud, and pulley.

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Sorry if this is a highjack, but I've heard that on later cars the hot air from the LAT hood outlets gets directed into the cabin through the interior vents. Has anyone experienced this? Thank you in advance for any feedback as I'm considering adding the same type of extractors to my hood.

Last edited:

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I’ve done that already. I figure every bit helps. Now to fit the prototype hood and see where the vent will go.
Here is the latest photo of the vented hood project. Measured to vent just behind the radiator.

A82AD1AA-A48A-422A-A3EC-62CF636B996A.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
It will be interesting to see how it stays closed at high speed. My other cars wanted to unlatch at the rear as a yo pushing 90 telltale ;)

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry if this is a highjack, but I've heard that on later cars the hot air from the LAT hood outlets gets directed into the cabin through the interior vents. Has anyone experienced this? Thank you in advance for any feedback as I'm considering adding the same type of extractors to my hood.
I have never experienced this problem with my LAT hood. The hood "exhausts" are at the rear corners. The intake for the vents are centered just in front of the windshield. I guess if the wind is blowing just right and the car is sitting still, hot air coming from the hood outlets could get to the intake for the vents. But I do not know what would cause the hot air to be sucked into the vents, only into the heater/defroster blower. At speed, the air in front of the windshield is moving a lot slower than the air at the corners of the hood. Slower air is higher in pressure than faster air. (That is how an airplane wing's shape provides lift to the wings.). So when the car is moving, I cannot fathom how air coming out of the hood outlets would be pulled towards the middle of the windshield's base. Maybe I am missing something, though.

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Latest photos of the vented hood project. Now to final sand and polish before mold making time.

5A62EC9F-7E9D-4A69-9AD1-C5CD27217176.jpeg

48033897-6240-48BB-B633-E208717A405E.jpeg