LAT Tri-Y Down Pipes

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dan Walters asked me to post that he's in the process of putting a group-buy together for the down pipes and the other parts needed to make the LAT Tri-Y manifolds work.

This will include the necessary flanges. He needs to hear from any who might be interested in joining this purchase. He's also investigating having the pipes made out of either stainless or mild steel. He hopes to source the necessary gaskets as well. If you're interested, either contact him directly or reply to this thread.

Buck
at the beach

Doug C

Gold forum user
Buck - thanks for doing this, I just want you to know that Dan has my information.

Cheers - Doug

Warren

Gold forum user
Contact

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/member.php?u=3715

Dan's contact information. Probably better to use email option as he may not look at the forum every day or have his notifications set to show new Private Messages. Click on send message then select email option.

Last time Dan and I talked there's several who have incomplete sets of the 3 needed parts and some that are wanting all three, those being...
Manifolds
Right side hanger
Down pipes
I also had a concern that anything ever produced "as a stock replacement" should be of the same material and of similar quality.
Be nice I know we can't find people who weld that ugly anymore unless we get them done at a Vo-tech school:)
I'd be a bummer if someone went to a lot of trouble going stock to be dinged by a nit picker with a magnet while showing.

Attached is a picture of the vintage items and a vintage member now 50 this month. One of the few of us not older than our cars;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20180615_180550931.jpg
    IMG_20180615_180550931.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 304

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
LAT 27 Tri-Ys

Manifolds
Right side hanger
Down pipes

I also had a concern that anything ever produced "as a stock replacement" should be of the same material and of similar quality.
Be nice I know we can't find people who weld that ugly anymore unless we get them done at a Vo-tech school:)
I'd be a bummer if someone went to a lot of trouble going stock to be dinged by a nit picker with a magnet while showing.

Warren,
I agree about these being identical to the LAT 27 Tri-Y option. Anyone who doesn't care about originality would probably opt for the C.A.T. club tube headers, as they provide more performance than Tri-Ys. And for those who want originality, the club tube headers are very different than the LAT tube headers. The club headers supply the need for folks wanting more performance but don't care about originality. There is nothing for those folks who want increased performance, but still want to maintain originality.

It looks like the down pipes would not be too hard to manufacture, assuming those flanges are still available or can be accurately reproduced easily. Maybe the fabricator of the club tube headers can make them. Finding someone to make the manifolds and the one motor hanger out of cast iron might be more difficult. But it is important that the casting are exact reproductions of the original LAT 27 items. Sounds like a good part project for the club.

Thanks!

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tri Y headers

I am interested in a set of down tubes. Seeing as there is discussion about reproducing them, could we entertain the idea of using modern materials so they have a longer life and are not prone to rusting out, say stainless like the club is doing for the tube headers. I know people who like originality lean to how it was made, but if you can make it better like other car makes do for there particular marques, then why not? Are other people interested in this line of thinking or am I the only one. If you can replace less often and drive more, it seems like what we’re all after.

Warren

Gold forum user
Builders

Great idea Brian. With all due respect probably the steel ones will out last the car's caretaker sadly. Another consideration guys that can drive in 3 season So. Cal.
are most likely under 2 to 3 thousand miles per year.
It's very likely both types will be produced.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I can see both sides of mild steel vs stainless steel debate. Mild steel would be easier to make and perhaps less expensive, but stainless looks nicer and lasts longer. The reality is, I believe, that once a set of quality correct fixtures are constructed either material could be used.
The set of pipes that Warren pictured are a little rusty, but still very usable. The flanges are a redo. They are thin, flimsy, and warped. The dimensions of the flanges are somewhat unusual. I have not been able to find an off the shelf source with the same dimensions. I was told that the flanges are patterned after a flat-head ford, but I haven't been able to verify that yet.
It will be a very challenging project that I hope will come to fruition to bring an aesthetically pleasing blend of originality and performance.
Cheers! -Kevin

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
Tri Y's

How do Tri Y's work compared to headers from the club? Easier to install?
Do you get a bump in performance? I've got a warm 289 with a 4 barrel and stock exhaust and just want the motor to breath better.
Thanks
John

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi John,
I read a copy of the original installation instructions for Tri-Y headers and it looks like a challenging and difficult proposition. My stock car had Tri-Y's installed prior to 1970 and my guess is that a hasty mechanic lost his patience with th install process. Both the stock left and HSC right hanger have been relieved with what appears to be a flame cutter to allow access to the lower flange mounting bolts. I have secured a replacement left hanger but don't as yet have a solution for the right side. Perhaps I'll just live with the modifications - the car ran for many years with them that way.
As far as performance bump I believe there is one. The exact performance increase is debatable. Some say just a few more horsepower, while the BON says in so many words that the Tri-Y's add at least 25 extra horsepower. It would certainly be an interesting dyno demo!
Either way, I like them because they are different. I know my car had them with a "Cobra" engine kit and funky Sun tach from way back. I plan to keep as much of the car's history intact because its different. No doubt that the club headers will give you better performance than Tri-Y's. For me, I like the blend of period-correctness and performance.
Cheers, -Kevin

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Back in the day...

...Gordon Chittenden (Performance Tuning SUNBEAM TIGER) recommended The LAT 27, Tri-ys, for performance UNDER 4000 RPM

and LAT 73, tube headers, for performance OVER 4000 RPM.

But, remember the rest of the exhaust system is part of the performance equation.

Gordon also suggested the LAT 74, 2 inch exhaust system, to go with the LAT 27s.

The working plan for MY effort is to collect the correct tubes to REPLACE or replicate the ORIGINAL LAT 27, Tri-Y, down pipes.

I have found some flanges that will work, BUT, are NOT as thin as original.

IF you have some original down pipes, that have bad tubes, as I do, these tubes will be correct replacement parts welded to the original flanges.

There is interest in the tubes using Stainless Steel, so a number of SS tubes IS planned to be part of the parts available in this effort.

I have NOT found a source (off the shelf) for the flanges, as original.

My plan is supply the parts, as requested, in a one time buy, to make or repair YOUR own down pipes.

The effort to make a REPO LAT 27 Kit by CAT is a parallel project and is not yet fully on the table.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tri Y headers

I have a set that I pieced together over the years, I am very happy with them. Like Kevin had said “ there different “, and a pretty neat period piece. I feel they add something to the car hp wise. I had the misfortune of having to change my starter and was dreading the exchange through the down tubes. I have an original starter, and it was a breeze, not difficult at all to remove and replace the starter with these down tubes in place. I have read the same info Kevin has with the increase in performance over the period headers of the day.

Warren

Gold forum user
Parallel project

My hopes are not high. Just like a a certain product stamped out of mild steel, or a grill for a MK2 or the wheel arches it's a real up hill project.

It's so hard to find time for the multitude of projects that appear, some just by sitting at a local cars and suds or coffee :)
Three cars in the rough were pointed out to me by passers by two Alpines and one Tiger by a car dealer friend. It's amazing like old Honda that would not run without a charged battery, these cars are still collecting dust and iron oxide in places.

The ultimate hero award goes to Dan as the down tubes are needed by several guys and we already have a tube bender with the CAT headers vendor.

Warren

Gold forum user
But the Table is still rough lumber

At the Lumber yard :) That said a hanger reproduction has been unearthed with very little detective work. The castings are another story, but some of the EM castings are available.

The cool and different factor was and has really been all there was for me. Wish everyone luck with their individual efforts.

My plan is supply the parts, as requested, in a one time buy, to make or repair YOUR own down pipes.

The effort to make a REPO LAT 27 Kit by CAT is a parallel project and is not yet fully on the table.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would like to make clearer what I'm offering.

The original down pipes are what they are.

They can be improved.

They can be made with less "parts".

There are welds that can be eliminated.

I am planning to offer pipes longer than original that can be cut into the "parts" that are welded into the original configuration or as you see fit.

I am guessing the pipes and flanges order will be placed in early October.

Email or PM me with a list of what parts ( pipes, flanges, in what material, steel or SS) you would like.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tri Y headers

Are the clubs Tri Y down tubes being offered in stainless?
Brian