LAT Tri-Y Down Pipes

Warren

Gold forum user
Steel

As I understand it they will be mild steel. The project has started as a members motor Dan is building with several guys expressing interest as well myself included , Kevin, and others. It is a group buy and not a retail club venture as I understand it may be able to make in S.S. as well .

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A bit of a delay

The buy/sell has been delayed, but still planned.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
NEWS

Believe it or not, there has been some progress on the Down pipe front!

Some pipes were bought and a set of down pipes made.

Things were learned!

1) The original planned parts were not enough.

2) The original planned parts were not quite right.

The main challenge for me was my Right side down pipe was modified quite a bit for

clearance for a bigger bellhousing/flywheel (from the "STD" 157 tooth to the 164 tooth flywheel).

After a closer look at an NOS Right side, the left side is quite different.

The right side curves away from the engine quite a bit to clear the starter.

If you have the original Tri-Y manifolds, the pair with a bigger angle away from the engine go on the right side.

If you have the Repro Manifolds, they are MOSTLY the same, but not 100%, selectively check the fit (and mark them).

Now here is the important part of THIS post, it's been so long from the start of this project,

I MAY have forgotten some WHO were on the LIST!

So I am starting over with a new list.

PM me to get on the list.

DW

Warren

Gold forum user
Subscribe

Some may have selected on the drop down to subscribe to this thread, I doubt it though. I'm wondering when this will be a parts for sale thread too but it's certainly easier to find here in this stock section. I'm interested but needed for many are the cast hanger and the manifolds themselves. I have a set of the EM castings but no hanger .
This is a great project and since I'm a long way from needing a set of Dan's pipes it's always that do I buy it while it's available and wait or take risk of waiting. I will forward the link to the page to the guys I talked about with this. It'll be interesting to see if unobtainium parts prices slide in line with the car prices...

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There may be pictures of original Tri-Y down pipes on the forum somewhere, but this is a good place for some more:

From the Mulvey collection, an NOS set!

Starting with the more complicated right side.

IMG_20191114_132859493.jpg
IMG_20191114_132941017_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191114_133012813_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191114_133235227_HDR.jpg

ojxxx

Silver forum user
Very nice, I'm getting ready to build a set, we were wondering if there is some additional numbers cast just past the letter 'R'. Maybe a date code?

Franchi

Silver forum user
Nice pics. I believe they were only marked HSC 1.
The flanges on those original pipes are pretty thin, I would suggest the new ones be made with thicker flanges, those originals would be prone to leaking. Of course if you want them concours, you would need the thin ones.

David