Wanted Looking for a Tiger front cross member.

Bill163

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Looking for a tiger front cross member for my 67 Alpine tiger conversion. Thanks

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Presumably originality is not the goal, so notch out your Alpine one and weld in the steering rack mounts. While you are at it, push the rack rearwards to improve Ackerman angle
I have a set of Spridget rack adapters, or make the mount to suit a rack of your choice - I have used Miata and Spridget
You will likely want new springs anyway.................

Bill163

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the reply. No I’m not particularly looking for originality I thought about just modifying the alpine cross member but I thought I would try the lazy route first. I like the idea of using the Miata rack but I’m curious what it would take to do the work ( what tie rod ends,universal for the steering column etc..) I have the correct Tiger steering column to use.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Thanks for the reply. No I’m not particularly looking for originality I thought about just modifying the alpine cross member but I thought I would try the lazy route first. I like the idea of using the Miata rack but I’m curious what it would take to do the work ( what tie rod ends,universal for the steering column etc..) I have the correct Tiger steering column to use.
A good Tiger front end is not cheap................

I have a new Woodward u-joint from MX5 to the Tiger column, but do not recall the size and not close to my garage to look. I do recall that it was not easy to find.
IIRC, I used a longer Mazda outer tie rod, and de-powered the Mazda rack.
Jim Gislason used a MX5/Miata power rack.
The Spridget is easier, and either way you need a method to affix the rack to the crossmember brackets

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have one tiger crossmember with a midget rack already on it. I have the boots for the rack and I don't think I have oil/grease in it yet. The front lip of this member is curled down from what I do not know, it came that way 15 years ago. I also have a complete 67 Alpine crossmember with wire wheels on it with original knockoffs, I have not taken apart. If you would like pictures, be patient and I will forward. Do not know prices, I think that is a discussion point. In what state do you reside obviously for shipping. By the way the Tiger member has always been inside, the Alpine member has been outside and has surface rust.
Jim

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a couple Tiger crossmembers. one is pretty damaged from front impact and the other is pretty rusty. BUT, either would provide the parts to convert your Alpine crossmember and a template/pattern for doing so.

The sprite/midget rack will work but is substantially faster geared. 1 3/4 lock to lock if I remember correctly. It will require mounting blocks, couplers for the tie rods and uses either a pait of LH end or RH ends. The kit used to sold by Dale's but isn't available now. The kit also used MGB steering arms in place if the OE parts. the Ackerman issues still persist, but aren't as bad. steering is very heavy at slow speeds and can be twitchy at hi speed (over 90)

as for price, comparatively cheap... shipping would be expensive depending on where you're located

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
We still convert them but the shop/bench welding costs can be attention getting. The jig for keeping things straight and in the correct location is critical. just sayin'

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
We still convert them but the shop/bench welding costs can be attention getting. The jig for keeping things straight and in the correct location is critical. just sayin'
I've done a couple.. once you have a jig it's pretty straightforward.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have a couple Tiger crossmembers. one is pretty damaged from front impact and the other is pretty rusty. BUT, either would provide the parts to convert your Alpine crossmember and a template/pattern for doing so.

The sprite/midget rack will work but is substantially faster geared. 1 3/4 lock to lock if I remember correctly. It will require mounting blocks, couplers for the tie rods and uses either a pait of LH end or RH ends. The kit used to sold by Dale's but isn't available now. The kit also used MGB steering arms in place if the OE parts. the Ackerman issues still persist, but aren't as bad. steering is very heavy at slow speeds and can be twitchy at hi speed (over 90)

as for price, comparatively cheap... shipping would be expensive depending on where you're located
I have 2 sets of the "Dale" style Spridget rack mounts + tie rod L/R couplers c/w MBG steering arms if you decide to go that way. You will need the rack and 2 LH Alpine tie rod ends.
The last set I milled a shoulder on the adapter block to move the rack rearward to help with Ackerman.

Assuming that you have got this far Algerising, you must have some fabrication skills. As Sean says it is not that difficult to convert an Alpine crossmember, and while you are at it move the rack rearward to address Ackerman. If you do not have the knowledge, skills, or can be bothered to make a jig, have Sean (Austin Healer) do one for you.
Any "good" Tiger crossmenber you buy most likely will have sagged shock towers by now and will need fixed, so just as easy, if not easier, to do that during the conversion process. Factor the sagging tower cost into the overall equation

yes the Spridget rack is quick for the street. The MX5 rack. ratio sits between the Spridget and Tiger

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have 2 sets of the "Dale" style Spridget rack mounts + tie rod L/R couplers c/w MBG steering arms if you decide to go that way. You will need the rack and 2 LH Alpine tie rod ends.
The last set I milled a shoulder on the adapter block to move the rack rearward to help with Ackerman.

Assuming that you have got this far Algerising, you must have some fabrication skills. As Sean says it is not that difficult to convert an Alpine crossmember, and while you are at it move the rack rearward to address Ackerman. If you do not have the knowledge, skills, or can be bothered to make a jig, have Sean (Austin Healer) do one for you.
Any "good" Tiger crossmenber you buy most likely will have sagged shock towers by now and will need fixed, so just as easy, if not easier, to do that during the conversion process. Factor the sagging tower cost into the overall equation

yes the Spridget rack is quick for the street. The MX5 rack. ratio sits between the Spridget and Tiger
:)

dsausig

New forum user
CAT Member
I have available a converted crossmember with Spridget rack & mounting brackets, MG steering arms, altered upper shock mount, and
QA adjustable shocks, plus other related parts.

mechachy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Not sure where you are but I may have what you need. Got three pieces ranging from just the cross member to the entire front end. The parts are in Arcadia, CA.

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
W
We have a cross member from a MKII . we are from Montreal canada , if you can't fine one , in good shape , only paint needed . !!!!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a couple of Tiger crossmembers... one has ben smacked fairly hard in the front, the other hasn't been hit but is rusty.. I also have an Alpine front crossmember that isn't rusty and hasn't been smacked... I have made front x members with Alpine roots and Tiger bits.. I am not emotionally attached to what I have... I can supply pics... I'm not a greedy bastard!