Looking for history of my Mk1A B382001943

Ford blue blood

New forum user
Hoping some old time members of CAT might know some history or the previous owner of my Mk1A. The Tiger now resides in Canada but was a Southern California car. Unfortunately I have no actual knowledge of any previous owners other than the guy I purchased from. I acquired the car in1993 as basket case project. As the story goes the car was imported to Canada from California (year unknown) there is a CAT sticker on the drivers quarter window. Judging but what it was rolling on 13” slotted mags with white letter bias ply tires I’d estimate it may have last been on the road in the 70’s? When I took possession car was in primer, the wheel arches had been modified ( not well ) originally code 39 carnival red. The big tell maybe the parking sticker on the windshield from Hughes Aircraft a previous owner was probably a employee there, maybe even the original owner. Any and all leads would be most appreciated I am a longtime Tiger enthusiast since 1976. Please help!

I have added a couple more pictures from when the car was at the media blasters before my restoration. Note the wheel and tire package also the holes cut in bulkhead for access to the hood pins and the cut front apron because someone took the engine out the top and obviously got stuck! These are somewhat unique changes SOMEONE MUST REMEMBER THIS CAR……….
5214781A-9A9E-4FD5-B263-B05C5A42621A.jpeg
8F1A312C-1CC9-4C3B-A2C2-E958C52AD111.jpeg

76E399D4-507E-46E6-A869-EFCCF3E1FF25.jpeg

53621ABF-1D35-49A6-8E2B-1A9BB6EBF4D9.jpeg

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Unfortunately, there is not much to go on. Your Tiger looks beautiful, but certainly looks different before it went to Canada. Do you know the name of the previous California owner? I assume the person you bought the car from is not the last owner in California. Maybe there are papers with that person's name, although you probably have gone through all of them. If we knew the name of the previous California owner, some of the long-time C.A.T. members might remember him or her. Good luck with your search for more info.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Given the quite unique metalic Wedgwood blue and the interesting front swaybar im sure someone will know some history...
Do you have its old cali registration number?

Warren

Gold forum user
Likely fell out of system as in the past Non Operational status required a yearly payment. There's a INF70 form but you may have difficulty tracking that with out.
Tag number.
VIN as registered by dealership.
Could be...
66B382001943 with it without the LRXFE designation
Or with a 67 in front and the same as above.
Or with no B in front
Those are the most common mistakes I've seen.
In any event it's only $5 for their fee. You just may have to try all possible combinations, one at a time plus it will probably take 4 to 6 weeks between them saying no it's out of system.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hughes Aircraft was in my backyard during the tenure of my first Tiger, 1970-1981. Lived up the hill in Westchester. That being said, other than the Hook's Tiger in Culver City, I don't remember seeing another one around. Intriguing...

Ford blue blood

New forum user
Unfortunately, there is not much to go on. Your Tiger looks beautiful, but certainly looks different before it went to Canada. Do you know the name of the previous California owner? I assume the person you bought the car from is not the last owner in California. Maybe there are papers with that person's name, although you probably have gone through all of them. If we knew the name of the previous California owner, some of the long-time C.A.T. members might remember him or her. Good luck with your search for more info.
Thanks

Ford blue blood

New forum user
Given the quite unique metalic Wedgwood blue and the interesting front swaybar im sure someone will know some history...
Do you have its old cali registration number?
If you read through my post again you will see the colour and suspension changes are mine. Car was originally #39 red but primer when it came in my posse.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you read through my post again you will see the colour and suspension changes are mine. Car was originally #39 red but primer when it came in my posse.
Sorry didnt pick up on that.. But it appears you added the other pics 4 days after my response.

Is the car listed in the BON? That would give a previous owners ID.

I have seen older photos of 2 other cars with similar cut valance in the last week...but they are now restored and obviously not yours.

On of the reasons people cut the front apron was to move radiators forward. Given the extra width of the cuts yours had and location looks like that may have been the reason rather than engine removal.