Lower valence air duct?

PITT40

Gold forum user
Has anyone ever made a template for a lower valence radiator air duct? I just ask because it would save me some time on R & D.

Erich

Gold forum user
You need to spend some time, correction, a LOT of time on the Tigers United website.

There are lots of gems of info buried in that site.

Like this one:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/SteveLaifmanValance/pt-SteveLaifmanValance1.asp

The last page of that article has what you are looking for.
If that link does not take you directly to the article. the title of the article is "Cool it, buddy"

Also, shove a length of foam pipe insulation between the cross member and the bottom of the radiator. This eliminates a lot of the hot air that recirculates forward and through the radiator.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Air Flow

Cool! Thanks
One of the simpler air flow corrections we do is the replacement of the flat air dam at the bottom of the radiator cowl with a piece of 1/2" steel pipe. In use, the pipe allows free flow of air around it which keeps going rearward. The flat original cowl's bottom, creates low pressure vacuum at the lower front of the rad and actually pulls hot engine compartment air back thru the rad. Fairly simple body welding project and it works.

PITT40

Gold forum user
So I read that United article and see your pic. Basically you need to cut that big honkin section out that blocks off about 10% of rad area and make sure the duct is pretty air tight so that front outside air is the only thing that can see the rad, correct?. The United article talks about using round pipe insulation between crossmember and rad, but if the duct is right, that isn't really needed, correct?

Warren

Gold forum user
Hold on Mr. Sawzall

One of the simpler air flow corrections we do is the replacement of the flat air dam at the bottom of the radiator cowl with a piece of 1/2" steel pipe. In use, the pipe allows free flow of air around it which keeps going rearward. The flat original cowl's bottom, creates low pressure vacuum at the lower front of the rad and actually pulls hot engine compartment air back thru the rad. Fairly simple body welding project and it works.

Randy that is a nice fix, and sure beats the heck out of trying to find a uncut radiator support to repair what a previous owner has done.

I like the sales copy like "never had a torch or been cut" in a car's description. I suppose one could do a surgical removal of the bottom core support and set the part aside but that hardly ever gets done.
The term unmolested comes to mind as well. Good argument these days for only doing mods that can be easily put back to original configuration.