Mark I soft Frame Color, Gray or Black?

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am trying to restore my 65 Mark I to stock. I had assumed the soft top frame and bow were gray. But now I am starting to see black. For the longest time I didn't know that mark I's used the three strap bow. In getting a three strap bow, it is Black. Thanks for any help.
Steven Alcala

DSCN8614.JPG

DSCN8615.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
I say gray as well. With yours I would say somebody didn't like the clear coated primer look. Too bad because that's really in style now. ;)

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I found this paint to be very close to the original gray paint for the convertible top frame.

13CE1F59-3C61-4FF4-A715-C670DEFA1CC5.jpeg

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Grey, same as the seat frames.... and Mk2 jacks too!
I am not sure all Mk II had gray jacks. I bought mine in 1970 and it had a black jack. At the TU there was a survivor Mk II, also with a black jack. However, the owner has not owned that car very long, but the wear on the jack seemed about right for an original. Both of our cars are fairly low in VIN numbers, within the first 100 made.

Here is a snip from the Rootes 260 and 289 Parts Supplement book. It lists two jacks for Tigers, but the switch point is after Mk I B9473324. It does not show a different part number for the Mk II jack.
260 289 Parts Supplement.JPG

I also checked the Rootes Parts Manual for Series 1 - 5 Alpines. It lists two jacks only, with the same part numbers as above.

Granted, we all know there are a few errors in the Rootes parts manuals. But is there any documentation that Mk II Tigers came with gray jacks?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I am not sure all Mk II had gray jacks. I bought mine in 1970 and it had a black jack. At the TU there was a survivor Mk II, also with a black jack. However, the owner has not owned that car very long, but the wear on the jack seemed about right for an original. Both of our cars are fairly low in VIN numbers, within the first 100 made.

Here is a snip from the Rootes 260 and 289 Parts Supplement book. It lists two jacks for Tigers, but the switch point is after Mk I B9473324. It does not show a different part number for the Mk II jack.
View attachment 15626

I also checked the Rootes Parts Manual for Series 1 - 5 Alpines. It lists two jacks only, with the same part numbers as above.

Granted, we all know there are a few errors in the Rootes parts manuals. But is there any documentation that Mk II Tigers came with gray jacks?
I have B382100463LRXFE. The car was wrecked and taken off the road in 1971 or 1972. It has the later (longer jack) made by Metalfacture instead of Shelly. It was originally painted a medium grey (some of this is visible), and later top coated with bomb can black

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have B382100463LRXFE. The car was wrecked and taken off the road in 1971 or 1972. It has the later (longer jack) made by Metalfacture instead of Shelly. It was originally painted a medium grey (some of this is visible), and later top coated with bomb can black
You indicate your jack was originally a medium grey but later top coated black. When was that? Or is it possible that it was top coated by Rootes before sticking the jack into your car and they used some cheap paint?

It certainly is possible that there was a change in jack colors during the run of Mk II Tigers, since yours is in the last 1/2 of the production run of Mk IIs. I just haven't seen any documentation of this.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
You indicate your jack was originally a medium grey but later top coated black. When was that? Or is it possible that it was top coated by Rootes before sticking the jack into your car and they used some cheap paint?

It certainly is possible that there was a change in jack colors during the run of Mk II Tigers, since yours is in the last 1/2 of the production run of Mk IIs. I just haven't seen any documentation of this.
I doubt that it was top coated by Rootes as it is a really shitty application of paint!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I should also mention the original everflex soft tops have a light grey finish on the inside.. The frame and header rail colour matches that.
absolutely correct!... not like the common crush grain "Robbins" tops that have a black inner liner. In addition, the rear bow of the top frame is wrapped in grey panel weight vinyl (Vynide)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All jacks used in Alpines were made by Shelly. The 20" Shelly jack painted black was discontinued with Alpine # B395000595 which was a series 5 built 11/12/1965 After that the 19" Shelly jack painted grey was used. If Tiger bodies were built using the series 5 base that would look like the Tiger would be a MK1 -A. Since the trimmed out bodies for Tigers were being built on the Alpine line at Ryton common sense would say the bodies all left with the same jacks whether as a complete Alpine or a trimmed out body going to Jenson for the Tiger conversion. When the Alpine / Tiger bodies ceased production and the production of the Rapier / Alpine fastback was moved to Lynwood the jacks supplied were again Shelly painted black. The square tube to insert into the frame rail is longer and the lug wrench / jack handle has a different angle on the handle section as well as the length of the handle being longer. Are there records showing when the Tiger body was built at Ryton? What was the time frame from when the body left Ryton and went to Jenson for the Tiger conversion to the time the finished Tiger left the Jenson line? That may help determine what Jack should be in the trunk.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
All jacks used in Alpines were made by Shelly. The 20" Shelly jack painted black was discontinued with Alpine # B395000595 which was a series 5 built 11/12/1965 After that the 19" Shelly jack painted grey was used. If Tiger bodies were built using the series 5 base that would look like the Tiger would be a MK1 -A. Since the trimmed out bodies for Tigers were being built on the Alpine line at Ryton common sense would say the bodies all left with the same jacks whether as a complete Alpine or a trimmed out body going to Jenson for the Tiger conversion. When the Alpine / Tiger bodies ceased production and the production of the Rapier / Alpine fastback was moved to Lynwood the jacks supplied were again Shelly painted black. The square tube to insert into the frame rail is longer and the lug wrench / jack handle has a different angle on the handle section as well as the length of the handle being longer. Are there records showing when the Tiger body was built at Ryton? What was the time frame from when the body left Ryton and went to Jenson for the Tiger conversion to the time the finished Tiger left the Jenson line? That may help determine what Jack should be in the trunk.
Every single jack that I have seen in a Mk2 was manufactured my Metalfacture....

Warren

Gold forum user
MK2 173 had a Shelley . I probably misspelled that. I recall thinking I love the patina but I'd like to have a nice new sticker eh Sean:)
It was black and the tool kit was with the car only missing a couple of wrenches.. y'all are making a thread split necessary but oh well...

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Tiger bodies were not built at Ryton.... they were built at pressed steel IN COWLEY and then transported to Jensen....

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tiger bodies were not built at Ryton.... they were built at pressed steel IN COWLEY and then transported to Jensen....
Indeed... The RAS cars were early alpines assembled at Armstrong Siddley into SII production in 1962.

The SAL cars were later alpines late SII onwards when production moved.

JAL cars are as you state are the bodies in white received from pressed steel to be completed as Tigers. Assigned and built minus additons that would be made for an alpine SIV or V

Hoghead

Gold forum user
My soft top frame is being powdercoated AS61 electrical box grey as we speak. My sister owns an electrical box manufacturing company, and this is the medium of the 3 greys used in Canadian electrical boxes.
I 'think" this is close.

I now need a source for the bow vinyl cover and cream coloured webbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Gold forum user
Evans auto upholstery in the LA strip near El Camino College is closed. My upholstery guy says there's a place in La Habra that's the go to place for brick and mortar bought upholstery supplies. Will supply the name when he gets back to me.

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the response, the frame will be grey . As far as the straps-webbing goes, SS sells a very close webbing $24(?) no part #. Unfortunately it is a half inch too narrow. I may go with some grey webbing I found years ago. Years ago I also bought some grey-tan vinyl, to cover the center bow. I had to buy a whole yard, tried to sell extra at SUNI and at TU, but no interest. Contact me if you are interested. $15 plus shipping.
Steven Alcala

DSCN8623.JPG

DSCN8625.JPG

DSCN8626.JPG

DSCN8629.JPG