Master cylinder rebuild

Growler

Gold forum user
I was wondering what those more experienced in rebuilding Girling master cylinders than me have done. I have rebuilt both masters and the slave cylinders (as well as rear wheel cylinders) and one of the last steps on the Girling instructions was "pack the dust cover with the red rubber grease ) . However, I noticed that there is either a drain hole or a vent hole in the rubber boot/dust cover and it seems that with packing it with grease would block the small hole. Here are instructions which indicate that the rubber grease is only put around the edge and the hole be kept clear and facing down to drain any moisture: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/GirlingMasterCylinderRebuilding.pdf

Looking forward to hearing how this is handled.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've rebuilt all of those, as well as the brake booster a few times. I use a light coating of the red grease. Don't have any way of proving it, but it might act as a moisture barrier and prevent condensation from forming in there...

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
13. Smear some hydraulic grease on the edges of the rubber boot to seal against moisture, being careful not to block the drain hole. Install the boot
with the drain hole facing downwards.

This just says a small amount..........

Growler

Gold forum user
13. Smear some hydraulic grease on the edges of the rubber boot to seal against moisture, being careful not to block the drain hole. Install the boot
with the drain hole facing downwards.

This just says a small amount..........

Than you...this makes the most sense as I now have red grease oozing out of the drain hole....guess I'll take them off and scoop out what I packed in and make sure the drain hole is clear.

Just out of curiosity, what did you get that portion (13) of the instructions from?