MX5 seats

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Anyone fitted mx5 / Miata seats to there cars. What is involved to fit them.
I don't really want to remove the original seat mounts from the floor.

Cheers Mal.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mal... check the SAOCA forum.. been done by about 15 people.. i know of a few down under... you can either adapt the MX5 runners.. or make a transfer frame.

steven

Gold forum user
You can also buy universal runner sets that allow you to fit the MX5 seats to the existing runner mounts in the floor.

Seabrook

Silver forum user
Not sure which ones you are considering but I drove a 2000 Miata for 7 years, seats were OK stock but I added a set of the aftermarket lumbar bladders that slipped in behind the center of the seatback... big improvement in comfort.

Sunbeam_in_AZ

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Search the forum for Miata seats. This was discussed about a year ago. Some pics are included on what I did to fit the seats.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
These are some of the nicest aftermarket seats I've seen for a Tiger... I helped adapt these to stock Tiger adjusters without much problem and they fit and look great ;)

Procar Rally ... shown re-covered with a custom logo :cool:

http://procarbyscat.com/seats

Jim
B382000446

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Comfy Lookin'

These are some of the nicest aftermarket seats I've seen for a Tiger... I helped adapt these to stock Tiger adjusters without much problem and they fit and look great ;)

Jim
B382000446

Looks like they would snugly caress my Italian fed "spare tire" . . . .like the logo. Imprint ? Stitched ?

mwood

Gold forum user
I went for a more "period" look, but still wanted good bolstering and comfort...adapting stock sliders wasn't too difficult, as these are bottom mount seats. Just needed to make the brackets and weld to the stock slider mechanism.
Miata seats are comfortable, readily available and light. I can see the attraction.
ao0w3k.jpg

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user

Jim
B382000446

Jim, I like those seats. but it's a long way to send them. I also like the way they have been re-covered, over how you buy them.
I have seen BMW seats that look very similar. You can see what will happen here. I will end up with a pile of seats ( next to the pile of steering racks ) that I could not get to fit and end up fitting MX5 seats.

Cheers Mal

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim, I like those seats. but it's a long way to send them. I also like the way they have been re-covered, over how you buy them.
I have seen BMW seats that look very similar. You can see what will happen here. I will end up with a pile of seats ( next to the pile of steering racks ) that I could not get to fit and end up fitting MX5 seats.

Cheers Mal

Mal what is your budget? There are some really nice aftermarket period style seats... the cobra classic or corbeau ones... the richfeild ones and the GTS ones... aloo really nice and worth looking into.

That said.. the stock microcells well restored are really good

Warren

Gold forum user
Headrests

Anyone know of a period detachable headrest available like this one.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user

Warren--my neighbor bought some originals from that photo shoot from a man in Germany, I believe he was related to the original photographer. I have been trying to buy one for quite some time.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user

Jim
B382000446

Jim--did he have the whole seat recovered? Looks like the stitching is not stock either but I like it. Very nice.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Bruce...
He had the whole seat recovered and the highlight stitching is in yellow to match the car with the 'logo' in white

He also had map pockets added to the backs...

Jim

Warren

Gold forum user
Scat VW

Wow these guys have grown up. I used to get my VW glasspack mufflers from them then scoffed at all the CAL style bugs in the layte 70's and early 80's there stuff was nice and affordable then and they are next door in Redondo Beach.

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member

I've done some research on these for the Shelby prototype. From what I can tell these headrests were very similar to Porsche 356 or Cal Custom pieces. I have some of the Cal Custom variety and the mounting holes line up that were still present on the backs of the seats.

When I asked William Carroll about the prototype having headrests he told me it never did. I could see them in some of the early pictures of the car and I could also see the holes in the seats.

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks Dlyle

I don't want to go roll bar as a method of getting a headrest. I have seen some in the Porsche 356's at local meets. Searching for headrests on eBay is a needle in a haystack

I am totally wound up after being tailgated by some crazed youts today.

I got mild rear ended in the Falcon 64 convert and the low back whack resulting was horrible.

Then there is the tonneau cover problem and cutting around headrests that's why I'm thinking a true easy removable roll bar with stumps hard mounted so it all comes out with out getting under car.

Sorry to left turn the thread somewhat. Mazda seats look like Mazda seats to me, the only thing likeable is price and speakers.

Chuck Daly had some Volvo122S seats in his green car sweet if you can find em.