MX5 seats

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Microcell offered clip on headrests for the S3-V and tiger seats. The navigators had these on the works rally tigers.

A guy in the Uk makes them repro... that said.. if they are not secured to the seat via bolting they will be a head rest... not restraint in an accident.

Warren

Gold forum user
Got a few

Microcell offered clip on headrests for the S3-V and tiger seats. The navigators had these on the works rally tigers.

A guy in the Uk makes them repro... that said.. if they are not secured to the seat via bolting they will be a head rest... not restraint in an accident.

Loose bolts and screws:) I'm and old school car guy who really tries to never throw anything away cause it'll be needed 5 min or 5 days or 5 months later...

Send a link if you see them again.

Here is another headrest/seat belt mount configuration removable so tonneau will attach

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I am totally wound up after being tailgated by some crazed youts today.

I got mild rear ended in the Falcon 64 convert and the low back whack resulting was horrible.

Yeah, I know how that is. I got rear ended twice right after I started driving. (not the Tiger) The second time just after having the first repaired. Taught me I have to watch everything on the road and not just in front of me. (Just an aside as Warren knows the area I've only had 3 accidents all So. bound on Western at Torr., PCH and PV Dr. So.)

Questions are;
1) Would you really consider using something like the pipe bar one? My guess is no, just an example what others have done but its another gadget to stow away when you park somewhere and want to use the tonneau. You already have the hard top and tonneau to deal with and then head rests too, on a bar or 2 individual if not, as well.
2) Just curious but how does that bar thing work anyway? Driver and passenger both have to sit with the back adjusted in the same upright position.
3) Do you have plans to redo your seats? As Michael pointed out if the rests aren't fastened in securely they won't do much good. I would think you'd need to get into and attach something to the seat frame to be effective.

Why not figure out how you're going to deal with the head rests and then add some pockets on the tonneau for the rests like they provide for side mirrors on some car covers?

Warren

Gold forum user
Mitigating old designs

In response,

1. Probably would not really use the bar type design. This was a fix by another Tiger owner who had also added a fuel cell and the shoulder harness. IDK if the seat anchors were reinforced.
1a. My intended goal is minor suffering in the most common bumps and plain old more comfort on longer GT type cruises since I have no trailer queens. Configuring the car for a trip is part of the fun , well sort of. Per the Tonneau the main reason to have one for me on other rag tops was to conceal personal effects and let it take the beating of the sun rather than replace interior every 3 years.
2. He had no adjustment on the headrests, but the sit in position was acceptable for average Joe under 6'
3. Best case of expectations is a compromise of slight improvements for slight collisions.
4. The seats in both cars are newer but older restored ones good 5' curb appeal.
If I can get my old top guy back you'd see a nice cover on my car, just at the bottom of the to do list now.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I posted a link the other day to a 'French' Tiger for sale in Hemmings...

It has seats that look very Sunbeam-ish but have headrests...
I wonder if he welded up/adapted mounts to the stock seat frames ??
Looks very much like you could slide 'em off for the tonneau too:cool:

View attachment 6176

Jim
B382000446

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They are the sunbeam microcell seats but have had the headrests from something else added, probably added the tubes to recieve them into the frame during a rebuild. I bought a set of sunbeam seats for my dads car that had been extenmded like MX5 seats with headrests.. you have to tilt them forward to cover them.