My first 4/b

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I've got more experience with su carbs on various British cars, this will be my first four-barrel carb on my 260 RV cam w/ header exhaust. After reading many forum blogs I've come to the conclusion that I still need more information, such as Holley or Edelbrock, just talked to Holly they recommended the 390 for barrel carb for this application with a Wieand stealth manifold as opposed to a 450 CFM. I've read the 500 edelbach carb with a performer manifold is a good setup as well. Those some have implied the 600 CFM Holly may be better?? For an engine not so hopped up I would have thought of 600cfm would be too much carb. I've seen some nice setups in the past that some of the tiger club meetings and would surely appreciate some information regarding my first four barrel carb for my tiger late 66'🤔🐯

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tigers are better with optimum torque. A good carb range of 450 - 490 sitting on a F4B or the like will give reliable white knuckle performance without staring at a dropping fuel gauge.

Warren

Gold forum user
Decide if you're leaning more stock with LAT options or personalized. I could have brought home 5 F4b's from my last road trip.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In a stockish build a 465 is a good carb.
Edelbrock v Holley can be personal... Correct LAT is a holley... The edelbrock is a nicer design in some ways and the way the top cover is designed is better for stopping fuel weap.. Amd easier to sort with jetting (all imho)

Re manifold... The f4b is correct period LaT and a good manifold.. Notch the centre bar per modern manifolds for better balance...
Or.. Get a nive modern manifold if you want a little more performance... But watch bonnet clearance

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Decide if you're leaning more stock with LAT options or personalized. I could have brought home 5 F4b's from my last road trip.
I would have to call it personalized, other than the RV cam, which I don't have the specs for, headers long tube, I do have a petronics ignition to put in it and plan on changing the distributor. Although the car ran fine earlier this year with a stock manifold and carburetor though RV cammed, I believe a four-barrel manifold and carb would give a little more refined power band (power).

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Edelbrock v Holley can be personal... Correct LAT is a holley... The edelbrock is a nicer design in some ways and the way the top cover is designed is better for stopping fuel weap.. Amd easier to sort with jetting (all imho)

Re manifold... The f4b is correct period LaT and a good manifold.. Notch the centre bar per modern manifolds for better balance...
Or.. Get a nive modern manifold if you want a little more performance... But watch bonnet clearance
Thanks 👍

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stevenl, What parts do you have so far? Do you have the cam specs?

Also, what headers do you have?

DW

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member

What do you mean notch the center bar? I have an f4b but I have not done the engine yet in my Tiger restoration. Do you have a photo? I have the correct 1848, Holley 465 cfm carb.

Thanks

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Stevenl, What parts do you have so far? Do you have the cam specs?

Also, what headers do you have?

DW
I don't have the cam specs, what used to be known as an RV can a little hotter than stock, have the old club headers steel. I was asked if I was looking for a late spec or personalized? I said personalize, but the horsepower game I'm probably going to get from a four barrel carb and manifold is in the lat 1 range. Thanks for any suggestions you may have as an upgrade. 😔🐯

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What do you mean notch the center bar? I have an f4b but I have not done the engine yet in my Tiger restoration. Do you have a photo? I have the correct 1848, Holley 465 cfm carb.

Thanks
This is a link, i dont have the dimensions and photo for the f4b mod ti hand.. But essentially its a small notch in the division between the 2 runners at the carb face.

This is an example of how they come as cast now in the performer series.

download.jpeg

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hey Warren, as per your question about the LA T options concerning my original OP, I've been looking at what the lat options were, and correct me if I'm wrong, but 465cfm Holley 1848-1 or 2 and an Edelbrock performer manifold I believe would be the optimal setup for my 260 with mild/RV cam, old styled steelheaders(will upgrade to the newer stainless steel club type), when the time comes. We'll be running a 2" exhaust, petronics ignition and wires, LAT hood. I'm wondering if I getting closer to this being ticket???

Warren

Gold forum user
The performer is possibly a better manifold but isn't an LAT one. There's two or three models of F4b but I don't remember where the pictures are.

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The performer is possibly a better manifold but isn't an LAT one. There's two or three models of F4b but I don't remember where the pictures are.
Thanks Warren, I'll look into that ; hopefully people in The forum can add to it with pictures and cost😌🐯

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Steven, below you will find a collection of Four barrel intakes I have seen that “qualify” for LAT option’s, some period, some are reproduction, this is open for discussion:
1st picture is the LAT low rise, 2nd is the LAT Edelbrock “4” hole F4B, 3rd is the same 4 barrel Edelbrock F4B but later “2” hole 4 barrel - underneath that is the similar looking, but different Offenhauser 4 barrel intake- 2 hole intake, 4th is a Offenhauser Tiger intake (Offenhauser’s have the extra strengthening ribbing on the out side bolt holes from a comparison of the F4B, same as the 66 GT350 use, also no cast “choke boss” two holes cast on drivers side rear of the carb) and last is the more modern TIGER Hi Rise, notice the much larger runners. Has anyone used this intake and how does it perform? There are many good intakes out there depending on your engine build that are not a LAT option but provide the performance you are looking for. What did you choose and why?

D9EECAB5-B604-4F94-A8AD-446D14920D9A.jpeg

129AC712-6563-4295-84B8-A45E64FABD81.jpeg

C188194A-1032-4AAD-9DB4-5910937205CD.jpeg

2E7DFE90-288E-4E84-A0D6-B0D4A3E62354.jpeg

0ECF4DAB-C75D-48D4-ACF5-1C957172ADCB.jpeg

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Steven, below you will find a collection of Four barrel intakes I have seen that “qualify” for LAT option’s, some period, some are reproduction, this is open for discussion:
1st picture is the LAT low rise, 2nd is the LAT Edelbrock “4” hole F4B, 3rd is the same 4 barrel Edelbrock F4B but later “2” hole 4 barrel - underneath that is the similar looking, but different Offenhauser 4 barrel intake- 2 hole intake, 4th is a Offenhauser Tiger intake (Offenhauser’s have the extra strengthening ribbing on the out side bolt holes from a comparison of the F4B, same as the 66 GT350 use, also no cast “choke boss” two holes cast on drivers side rear of the carb) and last is the more modern TIGER Hi Rise, notice the much larger runners. Has anyone used this intake and how does it perform? There are many good intakes out there depending on your engine build that are not a LAT option but provide the performance you are looking for. What did you choose and why?

View attachment 14271

View attachment 14272

View attachment 14273

View attachment 14274

View attachment 14275
Thanks for the pics very helpful 🐯☺️

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is 1 other TIGER lettered manifold that had the lettera curving along the front runner. Think it was the usual period ford/cobra bolt on but re-branded

View attachment 14271

View attachment 14272

View attachment 14273

View attachment 14274

View attachment 14275

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
There is 1 other TIGER lettered manifold that had the lettera curving along the front runner. Think it was the usual period ford/cobra bolt on but re-branded
Thanks for making these photographs archival helps a lot. ☺️😊

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member

View attachment 14271

View attachment 14272

View attachment 14273

View attachment 14274

View attachment 14275
Anyone know the current going price for the tiger intakes? Any recent comparable sales?

Warren

Gold forum user
Seen the F-4bs at 200 to 400 bucks. Dale said he had a pile of Edelbrock performer's. I would not pay 600 for a repop Tiger scripted is it the brand name, Blue Thunder manifold but I think that's the base price .