My Nardi wheel with custom horn button

PITT40

Gold forum user
Rather than buy a real Nardi horn button and mess it up trying to do this, I bought a Chinese copy for $20 on Ebay. Nardi does not make a Sunbeam one anyway.

So I took it apart and and cut the top off of the center button. Then I bought a new grille center emblem from Sunbeam Specialties and turned it down on a lathe to the same diameter. I super glued them together, then JB Welded them for good measure after fitting the pieces. Then I beveled/rounded the edges, sanded and polished the center emblem. There was a little more massaging of pieces as I changed how far the emblem sticks out of the wheel, so I had to modify the spring and cup inside for less depth.

Overall, I think it's a winner.

Warren

Gold forum user
Sweet

Got some plain Jane centre caps on Pannasport wheels your creative powers infect us all. Nice work.

PITT40

Gold forum user
The grille center emblems are 2-1/4" in diameter and completely round despite the grille center chrome being oval. So they would be a good candidate for wheels centers. They are $20 each.

Got some plain Jane centre caps on Pannasport wheels your creative powers infect us all. Nice work.

PITT40

Gold forum user
Also, the chrome is cheap and metal thin on this Chinese horn cap. So now that I figured out the mod, I will probably buy a Nardi button and swap the center for a better quality look.

I'm going to Carlisle, PA for the parts swap on Friday, so I plan to look at a real Nardi horn button to see if this is feasible.

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
button

the round badge emblem is for the series 3 alpine and fastback hood badge. the grill emblem is oval.

Brad1380

Bronze forum user
Not bad at all, but it's worth keeping an eye on evil bay, they do come up from time to time. Thats where i got mine from as the original burnt out in the fire.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great looking horn push, my fathers sic alpine uses a S3 hood badge and chrome backing as the center ... Very similar look and feels factory

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks great!

Now, go for the daily double- get one for your shift knob, also!

6oj2a1.jpg

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
WOW....check out that stereo! Cassette player AND a adjustable equalizer....The 80's called and want their Jensen back ;)

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
haha

If it makes you feel any better, Duke, I never turn it on...p.o. installed it in- you guessed it- mid 80's! I prefer the sound of my 302 any day:D

PITT40

Gold forum user
I guess that I misunderstood. I was looking for a Series 1 steering wheel center emblem and this was suggested by Sunbeam Spares. Either way, it worked great and I'm happy.

the round badge emblem is for the series 3 alpine and fastback hood badge. the grill emblem is oval.