Need help adding LSD and Ring & Pinion upgrade

ramseyt

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm looking for a knowledgeable source for all the correct parts to add Limited Slip and upgrade from 2.88 to 3.31 Ring and Pinion on my 66 Tiger 1A. I've read through most of the discussions I could find, but still don't feel informed enough begin the process. My local power train supplier says I should have ID numbers on the back side of the axle tube on the passengers side, before he can help me. I haven't found any.
I'm hoping someone out there will be able point me to an article or provide a supplier name and part numbers necessary to make this modification.

steven

Gold forum user
If you look up Maliburevue in parts for sale he has the complete LSD system for a Tiger, I can vouch for it and he has all the information needed to change ratios if needed

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ringing Pinions

I'm looking for a knowledgeable source for all the correct parts to add Limited Slip and upgrade from 2.88 to 3.31 Ring and Pinion on my 66 Tiger 1A. I've read through most of the discussions I could find, but still don't feel informed enough begin the process. My local power train supplier says I should have ID numbers on the back side of the axle tube on the passengers side, before he can help me. I haven't found any.
I'm hoping someone out there will be able point me to an article or provide a supplier name and part numbers necessary to make this modification.

The Auburn set-ups for LS units work fine. There are a number of outfits who can provide 3.31 R&P for you to play with. THE CAUTION will be the pinion splines and adaptive yoke -to-driveshaft configuration. The Tiger driveshaft is short and uses an adapter yoke (Hardy/Spicer) . A direct pinion -to-U-joint yoke will pull the shaft out of the tranny tail as much as 2". Pay attention.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Ringing Pinions

The Auburn set-ups for LS units work fine. There are a number of outfits who can provide 3.31 R&P for you to play with. THE CAUTION will be the pinion splines and adaptive yoke -to-driveshaft configuration. The Tiger driveshaft is short and uses an adapter yoke (Hardy/Spicer) . A direct pinion -to-U-joint yoke will pull the shaft out of the tranny tail as much as 2". Pay attention.
And what is that Spicer part number for the 26 spline adapter flange - not a u-joint direct fit yoke

Last edited:

Rodbndr

Bronze forum user
Randy?????
Ringing Pinions

Yes ! Inquiring minds would like to know the Hardy/ Spicer adapter part number
I am also in need of some help finding a 3.31 R&P gear set that will fit my Limited Slip Dif.
The ones that were in the car will not pattern correctly.
It will go down the road but its gonna whine I'm told.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am also in need of some help finding a 3.31 R&P gear set that will fit my Limited Slip Dif.
Can't find that Hardy/Spicer part number, BUT, I know that it was/is a Jaguar part. I have a spare center section of the Tiger drive shaft if you want to have a longer tube installed and use a direct union instead of hunting down the unobtainium adapter. As far as a correct run pattern; Even the very worn can be shimmed true. Just saying

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am pretty sure I have a spare fine spline yoke (Jaguar) you are looking for- can check this evening and send you a picture

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have both types of fine spline pinion hubs that may be what you are looking for - JAG (used) has flat flange like original Tigers course spline flange that will bolt to stock Tiger driveshaft. New Spicer U-joint style I have heard works fine but not sure what all is needed to make it work with driveshaft (Spicer is new and was purchased from SS). Look close at JAG hub and you will see slight wear from oil seal.

20220225_014323292_iOS.jpg

20220225_014334384_iOS.jpg

Hoghead

Gold forum user
If you buy the 19 axle spline Aburn posi unit, then a USA spec Dana 44 crown and pinion ( I bought Yukon Gears 3.31) will have the correct bolt size to fit the Aburn.
That still leaves the problem of the 26 spline pinion output as the Tiger companion flange will no longer fit. A Jag companion flange is one method if you can find a good used one. The other method is to convert to a direct yoke to a u-joint

SS advises via Tom Hall that a Spicer u-bolt style yoke fits, even though shorter overall than the companion flange method.
I bought:
US style 26 spline pinion to Tiger driveshaft:

Spicer 2-94-28X U-Bolt Kit

Spicer 2-4-8091-1X End Yoke

Spicer 2-70-18X Bearing Strap Kit

U-joints, grease type:

Spicer 5-153X U-Joint Kit

Or just buy a rebuilt Power Lock posi from Gary, but you still will need a gearset with matching bolt size. Jag makes a shoulder bolt, but difficult to find, and some have machined hardened sleeves to convert from 7/16 to 3/8

Rodbndr

Bronze forum user
Thanks for the help. Hopefully when I get this info to my mechanic he can sort it out,
This is what I have.
BTW he did try to shim it to no avail.

66 Tiger Dana 44 3.31 gear.jpg