New Forum Features (or how the new forum features relate to the old one)

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The main forum structure is the same as the old, with subject areas of interest grouped into forums and subforums.

The new forum "Conversations" widget is like the old forum's system of private messages. You can directly message other forum members to exchange ideas and information, without other non-involved members being able to participate in the discussion. Please remember that these private conversations are still subject to the forum's usage terms and conditions, and to treat any and all conversations as though they were occurring face to face rather than keyboard to display.

Profile posts are a social-media-like channel (like Fa*eb@@k ?) where you can update the CAT community at large with your own Tiger adventures, without creating forum threads. You can search out specific members' profile posts by selecting the Members dropdown tab above, and selecting "Search profile posts".

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've just installed the XenForo Media Gallery package, as well as the Resource Manager package.

Currently there is not much to see there, but one feature of the Media Gallery is the ability for users to create their own photo albums and to share these with other forum users. We may also add some 'umbrella' galleries to capture images from Tiger events, as and when these occur.

The Resource Manager will likely pick up many different bits of reference information, and this may permit us to clean up some of that stuff from the forum layout. Stay tuned, and if you have ideas for contributions to be made, then please feel free to make suggestions.

doug s

Bronze forum user
.i GOT A LOT OF ENJOYMENT OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS FROM THIS FORUM, BUT NOW IT WOULD THAT IT IS OVER BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND ANY OF WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES doug s

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Theo,

Thanks for all the hard work from you and the CAT guys for the tedious IT stuff...

There will always be some teething issues so hopefully people are patient and take a little time to readjust and wait for any gremlins to be worked out.

Like a fresh resto... This is the fine tunning time after the assembly

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
.i GOT A LOT OF ENJOYMENT OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS FROM THIS FORUM, BUT NOW IT WOULD THAT IT IS OVER BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND ANY OF WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES doug s

Hi Doug,
I hope that you will give this forum a chance... while the appearance of it is different than the old forum, we were able to keep the same forum organization, and port over all of the forum threads, so that this has been pretty much as seamless as it could have been, considering that we transferred ten years of accumulated Forum history and pictures to a completely new framework.

If there are specific things that you don't like or that are unclear, it would help me if you would let me know what they are. Maybe we can tweak the forum settings (I've done that several times already, in response to reminders from other members) or I can try to explain how to use a specific feature so it corresponds to how you used to use and view the old forum.

Thanks,
Theo

doug s

Bronze forum user
Thanks. for the reply, I did not expect one, I will be 79 tomorrow and dont do well with change I will just have to try to figure it out. Thanks again doug s

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
HI Theo, thanks for your work and effort. Change is often difficult. One item I cannot locate thus far.... is EMAIL no longer available? I see the Conversations option, but I have a feeling for many.. ...they may miss when I send a note (and vice versa). thanks for input.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
HI Theo, thanks for your work and effort. Change is often difficult. One item I cannot locate thus far.... is EMAIL no longer available? I see the Conversations option, but I have a feeling for many.. ...they may miss when I send a note (and vice versa). thanks for input.
When you strike up a conversation with someone, the forum should send you a notification email just like it used to do in vBulletin.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have been holding off this criticism of the "New" Forum.

I'm not thrilled with the soft colors and lack of contrast.

For me the worst is the lack of contrast in the little boxes that show the thread pages.

If I don't hold my laptop just at the right angle, I can not see a difference in the shade of the boxes.

The old format was just easier to see, at any angle.

...And to a lesser degree, some text is lighter and harder to see, with my aging eyes.

...OK, done with the whining, ...for now.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
With arrested development and an intellect riding the lower ladder rungs, I had barely figured out the last one. At least the tween grand-kids can bail me out now & then . . . .

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy, you're lucky your Developement is "Arrested." You don't want to be released into the next Developmental Level. Psychologists have labeled it "Integrety vs Despair." I balance that continum every day. Luckily, I have my Sunbeam to have some Integrety in these times...

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have been holding off this criticism of the "New" Forum.

I'm not thrilled with the soft colors and lack of contrast.

For me the worst is the lack of contrast in the little boxes that show the thread pages.

If I don't hold my laptop just at the right angle, I can not see a difference in the shade of the boxes.

The old format was just easier to see, at any angle.

...And to a lesser degree, some text is lighter and harder to see, with my aging eyes.

...OK, done with the whining, ...for now.
I set up an alternate style (and we can tweak it as generally preferred by people that want it).
Click on your user profile widget (top right), and select "preferences". The top line is a dropdown selector for display styles. In there, you should see a screen like this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 9.04.38 PM.png

Select "Pro Blue" and let me know how that works or (specifically) what doesn't work for you.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As near as I can tell, the "Pro Blue" setting does not change the tint/color/Brightness of the Thread page number boxs.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Theo,

I got the same results as Dan. I was unable to see any differences between the two formats.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As near as I can tell, the "Pro Blue" setting does not change the tint/color/Brightness of the Thread page number boxs.
I'm not sure what specific thing you're referring to. Can you post a screen shot of what you want fixed?

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
IMG_20210228_191819475.jpg

IMG_20210228_192043893.jpg

I suspect a screen shot would not show the problem/challenge of viewing.

But these pics show as good as it gets (not so great) and how weak it gets, depending the angle of the screen.

...and with ALL the things to whine about, this is a bit nuts, BUT it's just an example of the general low contrast on the pages of the forum.

...that I'm not thrilled about, new should be better not worse.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This should be the beef forum. ;-) Thanks Theo for your effort. One 'beef' is, via phone access anyway, if i make a new post (response), this does not appear in the "New Posts" until someone else responds to it. I believe that one has to find their new post within the category, rather than the ubiquitous "whats new." this correct? If so, is it a setting that could be changed? (placeholder for when Theo corrects me and/or I delete this post after finding it works via laptop)

EDIT: I figured it out.... The filter for the "new posts" search was default set to "unread messages" only. Which, although my new post has not be read, the software figures you should know what you've written. Fair enough. Click that filter off (x) and you'll then see any new posts, even those self published. Will check for phone.

Thanks ;-)