New soft top windshield rubber install putting up a fight ..

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What started out as an 'that should be easy' project has not. Any hints, install suggestions to get a new soft top to windshield rubber (SS) into that tiny little track ..

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe it's pretty similar to the door seals. If so, those plastic tools for popping apart interior and upholstery parts work pretty well and won't scratch the paint. It can be tough to get started but once you do, you should develop a technique and hit your stride.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe it's pretty similar to the door seals. If so, those plastic tools for popping apart interior and upholstery parts work pretty well and won't scratch the paint. It can be tough to get started but once you do, you should develop a technique and hit your stride.
Vaseline helps. A # 4 trim screw at your starting point keeps it in place while you begin tucking the miserable critter. Factory production must have had a trick or two.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
New soft top WS rubber from SS looks well engineered with soft rubber on WS side and a harder T piece molded/glued to go into the soft top front bow channel that is more like a plastic. At first when I saw the harder plastic T I thought it might just slide in but no cooperation there, binds up quickly at the curve. And of course this is a nice fresh paint on the front bow that I had color matched to the car (and I know it is supposed to be grey).

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I used a blunt flat blade screwdriver and the palm of my hand. Put the back lip of the rubber in the slot and compress the front of the lip with the screwdriver and the bang it with the palm of your hand. I spray soapy water on the rubber and retainer strip to lubricate.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Will I did have success using a bare soft top header bar on the work bench - what seemed to help the most was putting in the #4 screw in the end1st which acted like a 3rd hand to get the process started. Now I am trying to figure out how I am going to do this on the car with convertible top attached to header.