OEM valve cover decals

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I am looking to replace my original chrome valve covers with some new HiPo reproduction ones. I have a new Sunbeam LTD info plate from SS to fill out for the passenger side cover.

I vaguely remember there being a Power by Ford decal at the back corner of the drivers side. Unfortunately back in the 80's it started to come off and I finally just pulled it off and no longer have it. Scott Drake has two versions of what I think was this decal. Both are blue but one has chrome edging and lettering and the other one has white. Does anyone know if which, or either, one is "correct" for our cars? Funny, but for some reason I am vaguely remembering ours as being black, not blue. But I am learning not to rely on memory as much as I used to!

Anyway, as long as I am doing this, I would prefer to do it right. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers, Gene

Cal44

Gold forum user
Gene,

I don't know if this will help but here is whats left of mine (1965).

Mike

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Mike,

You are the man! That is exactly what I am looking for. Memory had wording wrong but the color right. So I am batting .500, which is better than going batty I guess.

I think I just found one on the www.dearbornclassics.com website. They have a decal that has to be what was used on our valve covers. Curiously, it is listed as a decal for an early-mid 60's Falcon, Fairlane, Galaxie scuff plate! Silly me, I have been searching for valve cover decals. Of course the one I found may be two inches tall or something like that. Worth contacting them to ask size, anyway. Probably some other decals, like for my generator, , voltage regulator, etc. I could order while I am at it, too.

Thanks for your help!

Gene

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe Rick at SS was stocking the ford decals for the tigers.. and many of the mustang parts people have them too as they were also on the early chrome valave cover stangs that the tiger shared its parts with.

Also IIRC there was some discussion on the list at some point as to if the locationof the ford sticker changed from left to right or front to back during the production run... check the mailing list archive

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Michael, thanks for the additional information. I spent a lot of time before the post looking at lot of classic Mustang sites and their valve cover decals and saw nothing for valve covers like what Mike has on his. I will definitely check with Rick.

If anyone on the forum has a different original decal from what Mike has and the scuff plate one like it that I found on the Dearborn Classics site, letting me and the rest of the forum know would be very appreciated. If the scuff plate one for Fairlanes etc. is indeed the same as on our valve covers, this all might make for a interesting question for the next United event quiz!

For my particular application, I am highly confident about its location since I am the original owner of the car and the current covers are original to the car. There is still a slight discoloration and smoother outline on the chrome from where I pulled the original one off years ago. As for things possibly changing to or from that location, my vin number is 1447 if that is helpful to anyone trying to track down a switch point.

Again, thank you both for your help with my little quest.

Cheers, Gene

Cal44

Gold forum user
The sticker on my '65 is passenger side front. Doesn't mean it is correct. That is just where it is.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Rick has them. I put one on ~2 years ago and just now had to replace it as it shriveled due to heat. It had no problem with the stock engine. I believe the 347 with headers many be a bit hotter.

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My original valve covers are hanging above my workbench...the sticker is in worse shape than Mike's, but it's the same sticker- Kirk

B382000503

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have 4 sets of valve covers and only 1 has the decal--looks close to yours, mine has the blue Ford oval. Not sure what year Tiger it came off of.