Oil Filter

wag123

Gold forum user
I personally don't like the short oil filters, rather have a larger filter to do the job.
Oil and oil filter technology have come a long way since the mid 60's. Have you seen some of the tiny oil filters that many manufacturers are now using on their new cars?
Regardless, the relatively crude engines in our cars don't need high oil filtration efficiency. In our cars the smaller filters will get the job done quite nicely and shouldn't present any issues given the limited number of miles and frequency of oil changes that most of our cars see. Using the small oil filters on my car for the last 18 years, the oil has been crystal clear at every oil change that I have ever done. IMO, based on personal experience, I can advise anyone that wants to go with the smaller filter that they need not be afraid of using it.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oil Anaylsis

FWIW,

Over in my audi group forums, the Blackstone Lab folks are the analysis site of preference. I've seen many of their reports and if I had a brand new car or a car that I wanted to actually explore a potential issue with my seasoned car, I'd submit a sample. Easy enough. I have a couple of the kits but never got around to submitting. Basically, I feel they need to have a prior reference test from the same motor to be worthwhile.

My S4 with 230000 miles could halt at any second, why tempt fate learning 'when'. :rolleyes:

(Not a terror, per se, but another twin turbo. About half the bhp of Dennis'.)

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

DD (CA)

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Trends or trendy

Both the amount and type of metal material the analysis can provide might give unwelcome warning signs but could save a ton of money.

The trends that appear in analysis over time can help to confidently extend times to rebuild also saving money.

I have always fixed things when they break on cars? My experience with oil analysis is with aircraft. One difference is aircraft cruise at relatively high power in cruise 60 - 75% of max power where cars maybe less than 10% of HP available. The Tiger I run open track events with should probably have regular oil analysis, maybe after each track event?

Rick

"I've seen many of their reports and if I had a brand new car or a car that I wanted to actually explore a potential issue with my seasoned car, I'd submit a sample. "