Oil filters Disassembled

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Was talking about oil filter sizes and as such on FB, and decided to do it more from a fact gathering approach and put more information for others to make their own decisions. I do not run either of these type of filters so I have no skin in the game so no need to convince me either way.

The discussion was the super shorty filter like the Wix 51335 and a full sized FL1A for the Sunbeam Tiger.

My position is the filter is small, and will be more prone to bypass when cold or as it catches more particulates. Internal bypass pressure is the same for shorty and full size. And overall just lacking filter capacity.

The filter difference is pretty dramatic. After cutting out both filter elements the were stretched and measured. Note the lengths are not apple to apple since different brands, but the favor of the longer element was to the shorty filter.

Details in the pics with measured area of short to large being 3x the element area.

Also note the exterior filter height is about 1/2 of the full size but more of the smaller filters guts, like bypass and related really kill the space for the filter element, it's definitely not 50% smaller but much worse.

Enjoy!

20240322_133811.jpg

20240322_133855.jpg

20240322_134002.jpg

20240322_134300.jpg

20240322_135136.jpg

20240322_140826.jpg

20240322_141400.jpg

20240322_141737.jpg

20240322_141731.jpg

20240322_141926.jpg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Wix filter has a pleated filtering media designated to filter and stop particles up to 21 micron size. The FL 1A also has a pleated filter element and is a 20 micron element. Both filters have elements that are compatible with conventional, semi synthetic or full synthetic oils. Regardless of size the oil moves thru the filter at the same psi and flow rate and both have bypass valves that open at or around 11 PSI and both have anti drain back valves.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Wix filter has a pleated filtering media designated to filter and stop particles up to 21 micron size. The FL 1A also has a pleated filter element and is a 20 micron element. Both filters have elements that are compatible with conventional, semi synthetic or full synthetic oils. Regardless of size the oil moves thru the filter at the same psi and flow rate and both have bypass valves that open at or around 11 PSI and both have anti drain back valves.
Not sure if you are saying both filters flow the same and no pressure loss due to smaller element? And what I mean by pressure loss is the differential across the filter which will impact flow. The smaller filter has a smaller area and is more restricted. I think pressure and flow must be considered or do I have it wrong?

Oh, think both filters were Wix, just didn't have the wix version of the fl1a, so didn't show this to compare wix to Fram, but element size.

Sandy

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Not sure if you are saying both filters flow the same and no pressure loss due to smaller element? And what I mean by pressure loss is the differential across the filter which will impact flow. The smaller filter has a smaller area and is more restricted. I think pressure and flow must be considered or do I have it wrong?

Oh, think both filters were Wix, just didn't have the wix version of the fl1a, so didn't show this to compare wix to Fram, but element size.

Sandy
The oil does not stay in the filter. It continues to flow thru the element at a steady rate and pressure or else you could have a problem with oil starved bearings. The bypass valve opens at or about 11 PSI.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
You must mean the filters stop particles down to 21 microns , not up to 21 microns ?

KenF

Gold forum user
I was curious how the Wix 51516 filter I use with the Econoline filter adapter compared, so I took an old one apart. I wish I had an industrial can opener like you have!
Effective filter dimensions of filter material was 3¼" x 53" or 172 sq. in.
On your big filter calc, I'm confused where the 4.75" height came from when the paper filter assembly height is 4.1". :unsure:

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I was curious how the Wix 51516 filter I use with the Econoline filter adapter compared, so I took an old one apart. I wish I had an industrial can opener like you have!
Effective filter dimensions of filter material was 3¼" x 53" or 172 sq. in.
On your big filter calc, I'm confused where the 4.75" height came from when the paper filter assembly height is 4.1". :unsure:
Ken, you are correct. I need to learn to read a caliper!

Updated and added the Wix 51515 which oddly has a shorter element at 3.5" and length of 73.5". The Motorcraft FL1A height on the usable element was 3.75" x 78.5" and the wix 51335 1.25" x 87.75"

20240325_152138.jpg

20240325_152605.jpg

20240325_153434.jpg

20240325_155324.jpg

20240325_155328.jpg

20240325_155332.jpg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Why not just stick to the original remote oil filter and deal with its difficulties in changing the element and not getting leaks ? I do like the uniqueness of the original and its looks

Erich

Gold forum user
Then there is no room for adding A/C compressor. Actually the alternator goes there and compressor goes where the generator was.

My Tiger has the remote filter mounted in the wheel well behind the headlight. Full size filter and headers. Easy to change and has caused no issues in over 20 years of use.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I made a remote filter adapter from a piece of aluminum bar stock. I set it up so I could index the internal threads to get it to go tight at the right angle. The side facing the headers is cut down to about 1 inch high so that there is clearance to the header tubes, and I canted the oil fittings (3/4 O-ring for -10 AN adapters) outward 30 degrees so that I get good clearance to the steering shaft. I’ll take some pictures when I’m back to the car…
The filter itself is mounted behind the left headlight as many others have done. I cut a hose routing slot below the left horn mounting plate, so that the hoses did not have to compete for space with the rack bellows on that side.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A few good adapters for hoses exist that likely will clear headers. Dale has one, others may work too.

For the filter, easy to get a filter that changes from the top so no mess if you mount to the head where the stock filter is located.

Or like others, remote to the front fender area.

Lots of options to not need to use the tiny filter.

Canton-Mecca on my car. Made it with simple stuff, easy to access, convenient oil pressure pick up too...

https://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Sunbeam_Tiger_Oil_Filter.html

20240128_145920.jpg

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Quite a bit Back last century, I concluded any car intended for the track

needs a High performance oil system as well as other upgrades.

High on my list was a low restriction oil filer system.

So I used a full sized Dual filter mount.

However, I would point out, in 1963 Ford decided NOT to include

an oil filter when developing the Indy 500 V8.

... of course, it had a dry sump oil system and way more than 5 qts...

and then there was the VW bug with NO Real oil filter... and they made a few of them...

SOooo, oil filters are like spare tires, You don't need um, 'less you need um... :)

DW

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Indy engine likely had a fine screen in the dry sump system somewhere, would be really odd if not but who knows what magic the Ford engineers were coming up with back then!

The VW doesn't really matter as they burnt to the ground before the engine could be worn by dirt 🤡 , but I thought they had screen filters in the sump too?

Bottom line of creating this thread -
Use a larger oil filter if you want, use a shorty oil filter if you want, if you are not worried do like the Ford Indy engineers :)