Oops - found something ...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Guess what that is :rolleyes: Just recently found in UK...

Attachments

• IMG_20180519_140428.jpg
    IMG_20180519_140428.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 174

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wow an original dunlop magnesium wheel as used on the LM Tigers and monster tiger!!! Missing its splines hub section... Great find!! Is it 15×6 or 7?

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,

you're the man as usual...

Yes its an original Dunlop Mag wheel as used on the LeMans Lister Tigers. It's a 15"x7" version. Unfortunately no center lock found. Heard that Rootes only did a small run of 50 pcs. In the early sixties. We may look into a repro run though...

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wheel

That’s a nice looking wheel, it would be great to have it re-produced!!

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have been looking for a fitting option for a 5-lug conversion. I didn't know anything about these wheels. I like them! As usual, rare and most likely unobtainable.
If there a run of repro’s, I'd be interested!

Thanks for sharing, -Kevin

Last edited:

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kevin,

your interest is noted. We have at least one wheel as a pattern now. A club friend mentioned that there is a company in Italy specialized in low volume wheel reproduction. Anyway we'll discuss later. Regarding the 5 lug pattern it looks like the holes were only used for centering since there are no chamfers. Appearantly locking was provided by the centre screw. Somebody out there may know more...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kevin,

your interest is noted. We have at least one wheel as a pattern now. A club friend mentioned that there is a company in Italy specialized in low volume wheel reproduction. Anyway we'll discuss later. Regarding the 5 lug pattern it looks like the holes were only used for centering since there are no chamfers. Appearantly locking was provided by the centre screw. Somebody out there may know more...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
2 runs of these wheels have been produced that i know of. Chris gruys did somein alloy to race with for the fraser monster tiger. I think another run was done by darrell mountjoy and dick barker for their LM cars.

Be worth speaking to them before doing more tooling.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great find Bernd! I would like a set if you make some. Here is Chris's Monster Tiger wheel at Goodwood 2012. Eric

Attachments

• England Sept 2012 581.JPG
    England Sept 2012 581.JPG
    781.8 KB · Views: 149

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,

will contact Darrell accordingly. Don't know Chris but truly no need to do tooling twice. Unless we want to go for 4 lug pattern and chamfers...

Eric,

thanks. Your interest is recorded as well. From your picture I can see the 5 studs were used with flat nuts. Wonder a bit how centering was provided. There seems to an adaptor plate . Hmmm...

P.S. Here is another picture from a different angle:

Attachments

• IMG_20180519_150802.jpg
    IMG_20180519_150802.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 129

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bernd,

Given they are 60s dunlop wheels i would guess like dtype, lister jag and mga twin cam they are peg drive wheels and hubs and that would centre them and the spinner holds the wheel on.

D_Wheel_002_1024x1024.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As a side note... While i would love a set of lm tiger wheels the fraser and LM cars ran large flares and reprofiled front arches... 15x7 will work on the rear of a stock car... But probably not on the front.

And if you did try the front of guess it would require a very low profile smaller width tyre which would compromise look and ride... Now if you could do a 15x6 as well.... You can get a much wider market.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As a side note... While i would love a set of lm tiger wheels the fraser and LM cars ran large flares and reprofiled front arches... 15x7 will work on the rear of a stock car... But probably not on the front.

And if you did try the front of guess it would require a very low profile smaller width tyre which would compromise look and ride... Now if you could do a 15x6 as well.... You can get a much wider market.

I think Michael is right about this. I have 15x6 on the front and 15x7 on the back with low profile tires. The correct offset and the 5 lug conversion are the other variables to resolve.
-Kevin