Panhard Bar

DAH

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
So I just finished the frame repair from the torn off traction bar brackets and now would like to redo panhard bracket to lower the bar down.Can someone tell me how far down from the existing hole I should go?The frame and bracket are fine,
I've designed something to cap over it which should work out well.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ideally you want the mounts at the same height relative to the ground with the car at its natural ride height with the wheels on the ground. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a Tiger, thus the less than optimal factory design.

I found this video very helpful explaining the Panhard operation.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
When the mounting was revised for the MK2 Tiger, the factory lowered the body mount to a little over an inch below the frame rail and switched the body mount from the right to the left side. The total drop in body location is about 2.5"

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There's an on-going debate over the need for the panhard in a Tiger. Because of the torque involved, I favor the MK II remount at dead level. When eliminating the bar, we install heavy gussets on the inside of the front leaf mounts.

spring gussets 002.JPG

DAH

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the input.In mocking things up 2.5in. center line to center line of hole would be about as much as I would want to go.

David

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That youtube animation was a bit over simplistic!

It had the rear axle only moving up and down, the SAME on both sides.

If the rear end only moved THAT way, WHY would you NEED a panhard bar?

AND, they didn't mention much about overall Height, A VERY critical detail for a panhard bar.

Because the height is so critical, it is usually adjustable to fine tune the handling and/or "feel"

of the car.

Clearly, the early Tiger Panhard geometry was not correct.

Generally, Tigers handle BETTER without the early PH bar.

DW

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That youtube animation was a bit over simplistic!

It had the rear axle only moving up and down, the SAME on both sides.

If the rear end only moved THAT way, WHY would you NEED a panhard bar?

AND, they didn't mention much about overall Height, A VERY critical detail for a panhard bar.

Because the height is so critical, it is usually adjustable to fine tune the handling and/or "feel"

of the car.

Clearly, the early Tiger Panhard geometry was not correct.

Generally, Tigers handle BETTER without the early PH bar.

DW

Wasn't there a talk at a United a few years ago where an ex rootes suspension engineer who worked on later tiger development discussed the issues with the bar not being parallel and mounted to worng side on mki.

He had some suggestions on how to improve the rear end location?