Park brake substitute with rear disc brakes

wstote

Bronze forum user
Has anyone considered useing a "line lock" device such as B&M lauch control #46076. Appears to be a rather simple way to replace a lot hardware.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
When I park my car, I normally disconnect the battery.

I would also think that having the brakes pressurized for long periods of time could lead to maintenance issues.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I use a concealed keyed switch to turn off power to the fuel pump.

I figure if it gets taken, when I go to look I can step out into the street and see it sitting in one direction or the other.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone considered useing a "line lock" device such as B&M lauch control #46076. Appears to be a rather simple way to replace a lot hardware.

I believe tim (or jeff?) ronaks Tiger had a line locker.. alowed him to do those NHRA style burnouts at the united auto-X a few years back.

Search 350tiger on youtube... and :eek:

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Not in San Francisco

I would not trust the hydraulics to hold over night on a hill.

Also the E-Brake is something to help you get stopped if the hydraulics fail when driving. Activating the line lock will not help you to stop in an "emergency".

BTW the purpose of using a line lock is to allow riding the clutch as the tree lights go down. "Lightly" riding the clutch removes all the slack from the drive train. Reduces the impact loads on the gears and applies power to to ground without waiting even a tiny fraction of a second for the slack to be taken up.

Way back in the sixties I actually used a swimming pool snorkel for a line lock. A cane shaped plastic tube, very low tech. I would stage the 56 Chevy normally. Hold the brakes with my right hand. Set about 3 grand on the tach with right foot, left foot riding the clutch to load the drive train. When the time came I simultaneously dropped the snorkel, let the clutch out hard and floored it. Steering with the left hand until the the last shift.

With 4:56 gears and Casler slicks (recaps of course) the hole shot was the whole thing and we could jump faster cars I could not hold off with only a 283.

And yes my friends did ride me about driving around with the "snorkel" on the seat. But it worked just as well at the stoplight GP.

Rick

Last edited: