Pie Mags and carpet question

gtpzxtmike

Silver forum user
CAT Member
In the BON it states that the LAT-9 Pie Mag "original finish was a natural cast aluminum with polished highlights". I have seen sets with the natural finish but I have also seen wheels with the inset painted black including a set on a 10,000 mile survivor MK1. The set I have are black in the inset and appear to be factory painted. Any opinions or knowledge on this?

Also on a MK1 that was factory built with Black Exterior and Tan Interior was the carpet Black or Tan?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I guess it comes back to factory vs dealer.. And with LAT stuff that can get more blurred. The dealer may have painted them to match the car on install. There is a period as for tigers with an 86 code car and pies are coloured to match .. Quite sure a red set too.

On the carpet.. Black cars also ran scarlet ( red) interior. The tan interior car I have seen but wonder if it was special order.

Bendango

Silver forum user
I am getting ready to work my LAT9's. Here is a before and what I hope they end up looking like after.

My Tiger is original color code 01 with red interior. I had some minor repairs done to them then used SEM Portola red paint. I also sprayed the original GT door cards and some of the new vinyl panels I had to replace that were too far gone but am very happy with the results. Some guys said the red paint will fade over time but so far two years down in sunny So Cal. and they still look like new.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bendango...

upholstery paint looks great!

We used a bright yellow on some old vinyl in the grnadparent's motor boat. Yellows and reds should fade faster, but some 5 years in, it looks good and is likely more exposed than your car will be.

I'd expect the type and condition of the vinyl makes a difference

Good luck and the wheels look neat too.

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
I have Pies also and planned on painting the wedge body color. (86). I have never seen it done and actually thought it was my own idea! I guess not.

Paul