Polarize the Generator

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I am getting close to trying to start the car after 1 1/2 years of work. I understand that is polarizing the generator is very important. I have instructions from Sunbeam Specialties, which states "Disconnect the field wire at the regulator (brown-green for a Tiger). Flick the end of the field wire against the battery terminal at the regulator." It does not say which of the other 2 wires is the "battery terminal". Is it the brown-yellow wire or the double brown wires?

A second problem occurred as soon as I tried to connect the battery. The ground wire on the volt meter illumination bulb fried with an impressive amount of smoke. I don't know why it fried. I think I had it wired up properly. The back of the gauge has a "+" terminal and a "-" terminal. I wired the positive terminal to the No. 2 spade connector on the ignition switch, which I believe should give it keyed power. The negative was grounded to the tach mounting post thumbscrew. The bulb socket power wire was wired into the daisy chain power wire that goes to all the other gauges. The ground wire for the bulb socket (the one that burned up) was grounded to the other mounting post thumbscrew for the tach. Does anyone see a problem with this wiring method? Another couple important piece of info: 1) the volt meter has modern guts installed in a Jaeger gauge; 2) the bulb was replace with an LED bulb.

Could the generator being polarized positively caused the burned wire? I did not even attach the battery cable, just touching the battery post was enough to fry the wire.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks,

Marty

Volt meter back.jpg

Volt meter front.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The front of the gauge says Made in England, while the back of the gauge says Made in China- maybe that's the problem...

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
The front of the gauge says Made in England, while the back of the gauge says Made in China- maybe that's the problem...
As I said in the post, the gauge has modern guts, placed in an old gauge. I can't remember what vehicle the guts were taken from. The gauge itself seems to function properly.