Posi / limited-slip for Tigers?

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Decades ago I installed a Torsen-Gleason limited slip & 3:31 gears into my car, but didn't like the slop in the rear or the freeway rpm, so I replaced my rear with another stock 2:88 rear. It's been just fine, but...

What is available in a limited-slip for us, today?

Thanks!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Two-wheel grab

Decades ago I installed a Torsen-Gleason limited slip & 3:31 gears into my car, but didn't like the slop in the rear or the freeway rpm, so I replaced my rear with another stock 2:88 rear. It's been just fine, but...

What is available in a limited-slip for us, today?

Thanks!

Richmond (no affil,etc) has this neat little spool that we've used on several muscle cars. I do not know if they will do a 19 spline DANA version . . . . .

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For the purist the proper LAT limited slip was the Dana Powr-Lok which is a clutch type unit. Both CAT members Barry Schonberger and Gary Crandall (malibu revue) refurb and sell these to the marque. I find these very good for street use.

For maximum performance on track, many choose one of the more modern successors to your geared Gleason (TruTrac, Quaiffe, WaveTrac) but you might need to switch to fine splined axels to use these.

bt

Last edited:

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I ran a Torsen T2-R in my Mustang for the last few years of its life, and loved it. Absolutely the quietest, most progressive and effective LS I've ever driven in any car. Their website lists Dana 44, but does not specify if one is available for an early type:

http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2R.htm

I'd think twice about running a spool on a street car. I drove a buddies Mustang with one (drag car) and didn't like it at all. I'd say the same for Richmond gears; plenty strong, but too noisy for a street car.

Regards,
John.

rab123

Bronze forum user
Check out MALIBUE REVIEWin the parts for sale section. He has correct Dana 44 Powerlock unit for Tiger with original axles. Excellent Tiger enthusiast to do business with.

RB

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Tigers should have had LSD from the factory, they transform the car's ability to get the power on!! :D

I have the Powr-Lok on one Tiger which does the job though can be a little 'on-off' in its operation.

Other Tiger is still factory and that is downright dangerous in damp-conditions :eek::eek:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You are not likely to get your answer , duke sold his car a while back and hasnt been on the site aince 26/09/2016 according to his profile.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
LS Diff

To resurrect an old thread:
Duke - Is this the Auburn you are running and if so how is it on the street?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aub-542085

A bit concerned that it contains chemicals that cause cancer..............
Prop 65 warning - what a load of bollocks

One caution is to determine the bolt size required for the ring gear. Tigers use 7/16" ring bolts in stock units. If the Auburn is drilled for 3/8", then you must stick with those ring gear options in that bolt size. OR, you can do some re-machining as you see fit.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here is an interesting fact:

Differentials or types there of

Are not even mentioned in the book "How to Make Your Car Handle".

HOWEVER, If you Take a Tiger with the handling

setup with a Truetrac (gear type dif), and change it to a Limited slip Dif (clutch type),

The car will likely understeer with the limited slip dif (more than with the Truetrac).

And anyone NOT thinking a SPOOL or Detroit Locker doesn't effect handling is delusional.

Differential types ARE integral parts of a car's handling,

and more so the shorter the wheelbase!

...not that anyone asked... DW

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I cant think of any reason to put a Detroit locker in other than to drag race and trailer it to the track... Even then youll have to spin turn thr car to bring it back down the track after the run... šŸ˜€

Hoghead

Gold forum user
LS Diff

One caution is to determine the bolt size required for the ring gear. Tigers use 7/16" ring bolts in stock units. If the Auburn is drilled for 3/8", then you must stick with those ring gear options in that bolt size. OR, you can do some re-machining as you see fit.
Or buy Jag shouldered bolts designed for this very problem

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spools (or the equals) and Detroit Lockers are/were VERY common on high powered cars.

Why?

- VERY durable
-Very consistent
-You GET POWER Down.

I have driven a Tiger with a Detroit Locker and several (other) cars with spools.

There was a time when, IF you were serious, you used one or the other.

Think Shelby.

I had a street car (not Tiger) with a DL for a while, it WAS a challenge to drive in the Rain!

It made driving like a TV action car chase scene common place!

Tail OUT Baby!

DW

Last edited:

KenF

Gold forum user
I had a Detroit Locker in my 66 GT-350. The old one, not the newer soft locker, which are a lot quieter. Wife hated it! All the clanging going on back there when turning, especially through parking lots as people looked at your car thinking something was broke. And you could tell if your rear tire pressures were way different as the car would tend to skirm toward the low side under throttle. It was a dry weather car, and I liked it actually.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I put a Quaife LS in my stock 2.88 diff.
Works well.
Bruce Stutzman
Which Quaife LS model did you use? I do not see a model for the Tiger on the Quaife website. I also have the stock 2.88 diff.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone installed one of these helical gear lsd (Nitro Helical Gear Limited Slip for Dana 44) in their Tiger?

BF66Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
For the purist the proper LAT limited slip was the Dana Powr-Lok which is a clutch type unit. Both CAT members Barry Schonberger and Gary Crandall (malibu revue) refurb and sell these to the marque. I find these very good for street use.

For maximum performance on track, many choose one of the more modern successors to your geared Gleason (TruTrac, Quaiffe, WaveTrac) but you might need to switch to fine splined axels to use these.

bt
Are Schonberger or Crandall still doing these Powr-Lok differentials? If so, how do I contact them? Thank you!