Wanted pozi-drive screws

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I used to have a source for pozi-driv screws.. Clarke Spares and Restorations. Unfortunately Mr. Clarke has shuffled off his mortal coil... Pozi machine screws and sheetmetal thread screws were used on later Tigers (and Alpines). I have been unable to find a source. My local fastener supplier (well, 100 miles away) can only get these in quantities of 4000 or more (Fastenal), The other supplier, Tacoma Screw, will not even try to source them. I'd love to hear from anyone out there if they have a source... It would take me a lifetime to use 4000 screws of a single size!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
OK, which specific screws and which location of use are you looking for?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Well,

On the Alpine and Tiger there are a number of them. The most common are #10-32 pan head x 1/2" (zinc plate) or #10-32 by 1/4" flat head chrome... 3/8"s would work just fine for the flat head screws but these were originally chrome (top frame and others)...

#10 pan head sheet pozi metal screws were also used...

On Healeys there were also #10-32 flat head screws (1/2" long) and #10-32 pan head sheetmetal screws 1.25" long (both in zinc plate) .. in addition there were chrome 10-32 oval head screws used for the dash mirrors.

I have noticed on a lot of other Brit cars a lot of oval headed chrome sheet metal screws were also Pozi-drive.. (#6, #8 and #10)

Obviously, I would like to find a source....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I asked because I have bins of screws from various cars and also new left overs from about 5 years back when a friend and I were both restoring Harringtons at the same time. There are sources out there so Reg would order from wherever what we needed and we split inventory. I've had quite a few original fasteners replated at the shop I use in Pennsylvania. We have a Do It Best hardware about 15 miles up the road that has the largest fastener departments around and they carry not only stainless but they carry chrome fasteners also. There is a large group of street rods and muscle car owners in the area that buy thru this hardware so they keep a stock. I believe their stock comes from Hillman. There is also an owner about an hour west of me that has been restoring Sunbeams and working on them since back into the 60's. You would be amazed at what he has. There are sources either here in the states or other countries.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes they are. I bought a set of pozi screwdriver bits just for this task. The grip compared to a philips bit is huge. I could not have got them out without the pozi bits.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you are working on a Sunbeam you should have a set of Pozi drive bits, will save you from hacking up your screws. The doors are a BIG version as noted and if you see the typically stripped out screws, you know what they used...

Amazon has the bits, as well as a bunch of other places. A good investment if you don't want hacked up looking fasteners.

Search for Wera 05056296001 was about 16 bucks for the bit set to use in your driver. It does not have the LARGE one needed for the door fasteners, I think you can also find them on Amazon, but not sure.

Sandy

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you are working on a Sunbeam you should have a set of Pozi drive bits, will save you from hacking up your screws. The doors are a BIG version as noted and if you see the typically stripped out screws, you know what they used...

Amazon has the bits, as well as a bunch of other places. A good investment if you don't want hacked up looking fasteners.

Search for Wera 05056296001 was about 16 bucks for the bit set to use in your driver. It does not have the LARGE one needed for the door fasteners, I think you can also find them on Amazon, but not sure.

Sandy
FYI, new door hinge screws are available. Sunbeam Specialties part # DP65 @ $1.85 each.

Last edited:

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, new door hinge screws are available. Sunbeam Specialties part # DP65 @ $1.85 each.
Got a set from SS years ago and recently passed them to someone who needed some clean ones. I just hit McMaster and got some counter sink style with hex drive in stainless. For me they will do the job, and a whole lot less $$ even though I had a set from SS.