Radiator Recore

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has used tigerengineering.net (see link below) to recore their stock radiator. I am thinking of doing this so as to forever eliminate heat issues and just make things run a bit cooler.

http://www.tigerengineering.net/

My radiator was recored as part of the restoration 8 years ago, but I can only assume it was recored with stock specs.The guys at tigerengineering claim they can modernize the innards of the stock radiator and significantly improve cooling. I want to keep things original looking so this seems to be a logical long term solution.

Anybody do this and if so, what were the results.

Thx, Jim

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jim,

Tigerengieering is Tom Hall and Rob G... i have heard nothing but good news about their products. I guess the advanatage of their radiator conversion vs an alloy one is that theirs will still look relatively stock.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have gotten a few parts from Tom Hall over the years--happy with them. I am currently running a radiator from Dale's and the car runs cool in the summer heat.

atallamcs

Bronze forum user
radiator

These are good Tiger Guys--Tom and Rob--have been at it for a very long time, so the results should be great.
Bill Atalla

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Why

Mod Tiger/Tiger Engineering is a good source for Tiger knowledge/parts.

But why? Are you having problems? And could they be fixed with attention to the shroud? horn holes? Do the temps rise in traffic? Does it actually threaten to overheat?

Rick

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick

"Problems"...not sure I would call it that. The engine has never overheated as in belching out coolant but it does seem to operate a bit hot. Cruising temp is pretty good but in traffic the temp quickly climbs to 210-220. A summer day makes things worse. More recently, I have gotten some hesitation upon acceleration after the engine gets above 200. Could be a number of things but I feel that is also heat related.

My 260 has an f4b, holley 4v and a comp cam, all of which probably further add to the problem. I have the 6 blade fan and the horn holes blocked. I have the shroud addition but have not yet installed it.

I know Tigers tend to operate a bit warm and this seems like a good long term solution, although I could like to hear from somebody who has actually installed one of these.

Jim

chirodoc

Gold forum user
radiator recore

Before you spend $$$ chasing cooling problems, first have your radiator rodded out, replace the hoses, and 180 a degree thermostat, check the yacumn advance and the initial timing advance. Then buy a Jegs $50 electric 12 in pusher fan. But first Read "Tigers East" cooling basics article on their website. Dales restorations, Tom Hall, and Davis radiator have quality pieces, but with a stocker 260 you should not be running that hot.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Actually.. i might add a pre "first step" as you are gogin off the gauge as an indicator.. make sure the gauge is correct. The sunbeam gauges are not very accurate when they get old and if you are running an F4B im guessing it probably doesnt have a temp sender calibrated to the gauge.

Get a infra red thermometer and aim it at the temp sender and compare it to the gauge on start-up, running temp and as it gets warmer... i found out that my gauge reads 10deg to low compared to actual temp.. yours might be reading high.

as for the stumble, thats almost gaurenteed to be heat soak into the carb.. easy fix.. phlenic spacer and you are set.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael

Gauge is near dead on...the sender I recently procured from Sunbeam Specialties. The hole in the f4b was helicoiled when originally installed during the restoration so the SS sender screwed right in w/o issue. I have checked it against an infrared thermometer.

Roger on the stumble. Thanks to a previous post I made, I found the source for a 1/4 inch phenolic spacer...I do not think I have enough clearance for anything thicker.

Thanks, Jim

Erich

Gold forum user
I bought a radiator from Rob Guerra almost 10 years ago. It was part of the solution to overheating, it did not do it by itself. I would, correction, I will buy one again should this tiger need a new radiator

I chased overheating at speed problems for quite a while. An Edelbrock water pump was the last piece installed and since that moment, the car runs a 195-200 F regardless of air temp traffic, or speed. I am a happy camper. I even find myself driving the tiger and NOT looking at the temp gauge for long periods of time.