Re Torque head

steven

Gold forum user
May be asking the obvious, how do you retorque the head after a engine rebuild and the engine is in the car?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I tried.....its impossible with the headers on. Also not able to get to the bolts for cylinders 4 and 8. I figured Ford does not have to have the head bolts retorqued on new engines, why should we have to do it.

steven

Gold forum user
I tried.....its impossible with the headers on. Also not able to get to the bolts for cylinders 4 and 8. I figured Ford does not have to have the head bolts retorqued on new engines, why should we have to do it.

Hi Duke, my old school thinking is if I only need to re-ring and new bearings in the 260, it was general practise to retorque the head after warm up/x miles. So are you saying the old practise with oldmetal does'nt need retorqing?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Hi Duke, my old school thinking is if I only need to re-ring and new bearings in the 260, it was general practise to retorque the head after warm up/x miles. So are you saying the old practise with oldmetal does'nt need retorqing?

No.....don't want to give you bad info. In my application, I am working with a 1991 block and modern aluminum heads. I did retorque the heads after breaking in the engine on a engine dyno before I installed it in the car. At a later date I tried to check the torques with the engine installed and it was impossible.