Rear Springs??

texastigert

Silver forum user
Quick question, didn't I read somewhere, here on the forum, where someone just added an extra leaf spring (from an Alpine) to the Tiger rear spring setup? making a stiffer ride? Thanks, Tim

PITT40

Gold forum user
I've heard that you remove the bottom leaf to make them softer for handling purposes, if I'm not mistaken.

mwood

Gold forum user
I added a second, primary leaf from an Alpine, after disassembling the spring pack, de-arcing all the leafs on a fixture Tom Hall has (to lower ride height), then reassembling. Did it a long time ago, but I still run those leafs on my car with good results. I believe it was one of Tom's common mods "back in the day" :)

texastigert

Silver forum user
Ride height??

Thank you Mwood, for the info. What would you guess, the ride height would be, if you did not re-arch the springs and use them as they are? It seems as if my springs are soft, and at every bump, the cars travel, (downward) is so that it hits my mustang rear disk brake calipers setup. ( the return spring on the caliper) - although, not by much, but does hit the upper arch of the frame. I do have new Edelbrock shocks, all new spring bushing, etc.

What might you say? Please advise, Thanks, Tim

mwood

Gold forum user
Not sure how to answer that one, to be honest. I've never measured either a stock Tiger or my car to see how much droop there is under static load, i.e. how much the leaf bends when you put the rear end's weight on it. I'd guess using stock springs with the extra leaf would raise the static ride height a smidge, maybe? It definitely would give more rate, but whether that solves your problem, I wouldn't guess.

Are there options to create clearance for the caliper to allow the suspension to move without hitting? I'd rather keep rear compliance than try to keep the rear out of its travel to solve this one, personally :)

PITT40

Gold forum user
I agree. He can make new caliper brackets that rotate the calipers further down so that they out of the path of travel.

My original post was just that I never heard of anyone wanting it stiffer in the rear of a Tiger.

Not sure how to answer that one, to be honest. I've never measured either a stock Tiger or my car to see how much droop there is under static load, i.e. how much the leaf bends when you put the rear end's weight on it. I'd guess using stock springs with the extra leaf would raise the static ride height a smidge, maybe? It definitely would give more rate, but whether that solves your problem, I wouldn't guess.

Are there options to create clearance for the caliper to allow the suspension to move without hitting? I'd rather keep rear compliance than try to keep the rear out of its travel to solve this one, personally :)

dude234

Gold forum user
I know the question was on adding another spring to the rear but a better choice IMHO is the get a set of rear leafs from Dale.

Stiffer springs and anti axel tramp all in one.

Rear Leaf Springs

190 PPI Torque Leaf

$475.00

mwood

Gold forum user
I know the question was on adding another spring to the rear but a better choice IMHO is the get a set of rear leafs from Dale.

Stiffer springs and anti axel tramp all in one.

Rear Leaf Springs

190 PPI Torque Leaf

$475.00

Yep, agree. If I didn't already have what I have on the car, that's what I'd do.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have Dales springs in my car, they are good but don't ride as nicely as stock springs, they also won't stop axle tramp on a warm motor... Over 300 bhp and you can wind them.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I never heard of anyone wanting it stiffer in the rear of a Tiger

In 1965 Doanne Spencer ran what we now call a torque leaf in addition to the normal spring pack in the HSC Tiger. It was common then to also add horizontal shock absorbers going forward from to the rear housing to help the springs dampen the spring wrap-up.

bt
at the beach

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Koni had the torque shock setup offered for the tiger. Owain Lloyd might be able to post the pictures of the setup that came on his mkia.

Buck, I think I read hsc55 also used additional early alpine lever arms on the rear at some point?