red 289 5 bolt

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just thought I'd throw this out there bought a 289 5 bolt some years ago and it was painted red I'm sure it's probably just a repaint but must have been stripped before paint didn't see any blue or black paint under the red anyone ever hear of a red 289 5 bolt. Of course, I have no ideal what it was in

00B0B_iEBj8IkUqku_600x450[1].jpg

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It seems to me I HAVE seen red engines, I'm thinking Mercury Comet. ?

However, THAT engine looks like it has a Late water pump...

DW

KenF

Gold forum user
According to Bob Mannel's SBF book, all engines were either Black or Ford Corporate Blue. The valve covers and air cleaner were painted various colors, depending on the engine/car combo. The 1964 289 2V's had a red air cleaner and valve covers in the Fairlanes and full sized cars, but gold in 1965 for everything. The 289 4V's had gold, argent (Cyclones), Yellow (Comet, I've never seen this), and of course chrome on the 289 HP. The 62-63 260's had red air cleaner/valve covers in Fairlanes, Meteors, Comets, and Falcons. Said to be close to Chevy Orange in color. I think it's been painted. Plus all dampers were black. My 2¢.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
According to Bob Mannel's SBF book, all engines were either Black or Ford Corporate Blue. The valve covers and air cleaner were painted various colors, depending on the engine/car combo. The 1964 289 2V's had a red air cleaner and valve covers in the Fairlanes and full sized cars, but gold in 1965 for everything. The 289 4V's had gold, argent (Cyclones), Yellow (Comet, I've never seen this), and of course chrome on the 289 HP. The 62-63 260's had red air cleaner/valve covers in Fairlanes, Meteors, Comets, and Falcons. Said to be close to Chevy Orange in color. I think it's been painted. Plus all dampers were black. My 2¢.
I have read that early blocks were Ford Light Blue ?

steven

Gold forum user
Interesting I bought a 289 5 bolt short motor that had been imported to Aus as part of a container lot and it was red/orange

KenF

Gold forum user
I have read that early blocks were Ford Light Blue ?
Yes, the some of the 221's and the 260's used in the 64-65 Fairlanes/Comets/Falcons/Mustangs were a lighter blue, or medium blue (valve covers and air cleaner only). It closely matches the 1970 Grabber Blue. Ford switched to Corporate Blue late 65, or around the start of 66 production.

Last edited:

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just thought it was interesting doesn't really matter its black now
289 motor with lat options 003.JPG

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The only red engine I remember seeing in a Tiger was the one on Overhaulin' but there was a sentimental reason to that story.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks more like Chevy orange.
Why did you paint the "Tiger" intake black?
David
When I got the car in 1982 intake was black, years later when I pulled engine I stripped off the black paint the raw aluminum didn't look that great so back to black it went. I bought an Edelbrock rpm kit that has rpm aluminum heads air gap manifold and cam that will be going on this motor, the original 260 as I got it will be on a engine stand. Kevin

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have read that early blocks were Ford Light Blue
When I got the car in 1982 intake was black, years later when I pulled engine I stripped off the black paint the raw aluminum didn't look that great so back to black it went. I bought an Edelbrock rpm kit that has rpm aluminum heads air gap manifold and cam that will be going on this motor, the original 260 as I got it will be on a engine stand. Kevin
what are the main reasons that so many remove the 260 and keep it on an engine stand ? Surely it just gets in the way and is a pain to get rid of by the bereaved spouse because it will probably never be used again and if so has been sitting for too long without being started and requires an overhaul. Just curious because I am getting my 260 rebuilt and proud that I will have an original Tiger as it was designed. No negativity meant but would like to know the reasons.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have read that early blocks were Ford Light Blue

what are the main reasons that so many remove the 260 and keep it on an engine stand ? Surely it just gets in the way and is a pain to get rid of by the bereaved spouse because it will probably never be used again and if so has been sitting for too long without being started and requires an overhaul. Just curious because I am getting my 260 rebuilt and proud that I will have an original Tiger as it was designed. No negativity meant but would like to know the reasons.
Early tigers came with black engine blocks as far as putting the original 260 on a engine stand my car will never be modified to the point of no return so at sometime the original motor could be put back in, just probably not by me. I pulled my motor because of mechanical reasons I did what most were doing back in the 80's find a 5 bolt 289 or a 302. Even though tigers don't have numbers matching motors/bodies the motor should be period correct and dates corresponding to build dates. As fa as my spouse she doesn't care and being on a stand it's easier to move around my car hasn't been on the road for 35 years alot of changes in the collecting market since then

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Early tigers came with black engine blocks as far as putting the original 260 on a engine stand my car will never be modified to the point of no return so at sometime the original motor could be put back in, just probably not by me. I pulled my motor because of mechanical reasons I did what most were doing back in the 80's find a 5 bolt 289 or a 302. Even though tigers don't have numbers matching motors/bodies the motor should be period correct and dates corresponding to build dates. As fa as my spouse she doesn't care and being on a stand it's easier to move around my car hasn't been on the road for 35 years alot of changes in the collecting market since then
Do you think the 260 original engines will be re-installed when the 289 and 302 engines start to have mechanical problems, I know parts for the 260 are harder to come by

KenF

Gold forum user
Well, I'm sure they are a lot more fun with some extra oomph! If a Tiger was bought already modified, then why go back? If the car is a real basket case taking loads of money to get restored, probably chuck the 260, unless you're going the concours route. But if the car is mostly original with the factory born 260, then it might be worth more with the 260. Hard telling, buyers are a fickle bunch. The important thing is to enjoy it whichever way, regardless of value. I rebuilt my 260, which made sense for my Tiger since I was trying to keep it original, although a bit scruffy looking. And I try to plan ahead, thinking some day it may end up on Bring A Trailer, where the 260 could be a selling point, but maybe not. 🤷‍♂️

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think one of the main reasons for ditching the 260s is parts are not easy to find and there are a lot more options for 289s regarding pistons etc.
A few years ago I needed to locate .030" over rings for my 260 and it was a lot harder than I ever thought it would be.

For the record, I am putting a five bolt 289 in the car and also hanging onto the 260 which, no surprise will sit on the engine stand. I am envisioning a time when my car is completely done and I will have nothing better to do than spend time making the 260 look perfect.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
My thoughts are similar and since mine had no modifications apart form the Edelbrock manifold and 4 barrel Holley I decided that a rebuild of the original 260 was the way to go. It is a driver and will remain a driver with restoration of the interior to original and all original specs on drivetrain engine transmission cooling and brakes. My thinking is with the extra power of the larger engines modifications of the cooling system and braking and suspension etc needs to be done and that takes away from the original character of the car More oomph would be more fun but I am sure it would get me into trouble 👿

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My thoughts are similar and since mine had no modifications apart form the Edelbrock manifold and 4 barrel Holley I decided that a rebuild of the original 260 was the way to go. It is a driver and will remain a driver with restoration of the interior to original and all original specs on drivetrain engine transmission cooling and brakes. My thinking is with the extra power of the larger engines modifications of the cooling system and braking and suspension etc needs to be done and that takes away from the original character of the car More oomph would be more fun but I am sure it would get me into trouble 👿
My original 260 motor with low profile tiger intake and holly 600 had lots of oomph enough to get me in trouble I'd be just as happy with that motor but have already invested the money in the 289 build.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
My original 260 motor with low profile tiger intake and holly 600 had lots of oomph enough to get me in trouble I'd be just as happy with that motor but have already invested the money in the 289 build.
My engine has been in the shop for a couple of months now. It apparently is hard to find shops that do good work and there is not as much available parts for the 260 I am going .030 on the bores and -.010 on the big ends and -.010 on the crank bearings Also putting in a RV camshaft. I will keep the Edelbrock and Holley along with the 13 inch rims and original transmission and rear end Should be a little more racy than my AH Sprite 😊

Warren

Gold forum user
It's like where do you stop?
What's the horse power to weight ratio of the car. Add a favorite quote , " Captain we need more power."

Did any of you get out of a 36 HP VW then into one with 50?

Both the stock 289 and 260 have pressed in rocker studs. Then you can do a period hop up and put 289 heads on a 260. Visually how many can tell the difference. All for about 140 RWHP. Clearly that may seem like a lot of you bare running on skinny bias belted tires.

As for building a engine stand it's a really big dust collector bif you have the space. Sure the too bad spouting types on Bash a Tiger will beat your piñata. Most of the guys I've passed on 260 bots too do it then sell off the car or leave it in their estate sadly.

I go out with the Austin Healey club guys and their buddies the Bug-eye guys are impossible to drive with and most wisely stay away from the freeways. The LA Healy group is a club that most can be judged by. They've done stuff all through 2020 enjoying some cheap gas. I drove with the 3000 guys who mostly go faster than I want to go even though I out HP them.