red 289 5 bolt

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For what it's worth, I just looked at my 5 bolt 289 (came installed in my Tiger back in '98) and the block is blue but painted over red/orange. The heads are just blue.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Back on the block color question... I do have a "factory" example of a faded red orange block.

Sorry to be a tease, but more details on the (sheesh i never updated any of this) website.

Summary: Ford did mfg service and reconditioned blocks out of OKC plant. This plant was sold over to Fred Jones in the mid sixties. This particular motor was stored under a workbench in AR for decades.

No red blocks in Tigers, and probably not in any Ford from new. BUT if there was an issue with original motor as DOA it is possible there could have been one of these placed in at the dealer as a replacement.

Also, as pretty as blue paint (and ARP bolts etc) were after the rebuild, it has since gone back to correct Black color and factory hardware for the early MKIA crossover.

But perhaps this solves a mystery...perhaps it creates more questions... I like the riddles sometimes.

Ti NOS red 289

60B1E94B-E44A-47DA-BC57-C77B5351DC42.png

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would guess that SD stands for "Standard" or "Standard Dimension". That is, they were not bored out and the engine would take standard sized rings and bearings.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just thought I'd throw this out there bought a 289 5 bolt some years ago and it was painted red I'm sure it's probably just a repaint but must have been stripped before paint didn't see any blue or black paint under the red anyone ever hear of a red 289 5 bolt. Of course, I have no ideal what it was in

View attachment 14443
these were called a "Challenger 289" and came in Falcons and Fairlanes.