Restoring a fuse block

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have experience restoring the fuse block?

It seems chemically would be the way to restore the contacts, but I don't want to destroy what I have.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would suggest 1st to make sure the fuse 'prongs' are solid and not soft due to over heating - is prongs are not good suggest you get another fuseblock. Degrease and cleanup as best possible (that super green cleaning product with toothbrush should work), then if you have a lot of crud or corrosion build up still, there are these fiberglass bristled round paint brushing looking sticks - wear eye protection and rubber gloves the fiberglass bristles break during use - stroke on corrosion area and it is amazing how well those things work. Another idea is a product called EvapoRust, you soak the part for a couple days it helps (have used on aluminum, brass, chrome, steel with good results)

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a tub of evaporust but I have never used it on brass. Thanks

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Save a lot of time and just buy a new one. They are available.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well, I know it is available to buy, but my when I started this restoration, I restore what is restorable and buy what is not. There is nothing wrong with the fuse block, I just want it to be shiny.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Try glass or media blasting of a lower air pressure and increase to get the result your looking for.

Warren

Gold forum user
Several used and new ones about unless you want to say. Wintergreen oil works good on rubber and plastic.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
the new ones are total crap.... they are copper and have no spring tension on the fuses...
Maybe you bought some of the Chinese made pieces labeled LUCAS. Suppliers now don't want to sell the Chinese parts since they are not the best. Samples are good, production not the best.
100_0252.JPG
The ones I bought in recent years have not been a problem. If I ever have a problem on any of my cars I still have a couple new ones or I'll clean up an old one since I have a bin full of used ones. I installed a two fuse panel on my GT to power the hidden radio and the charging ports. Works OK.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Super clean Alpine! What happens if you need to put the hood up with the engine running during the rain? Odd place to put the air cleaner opening...

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just bead blast the fuse block contacts from a safe distance. Any weakness will show up immediately. Original brass is a better way to go. Just sayin'

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Super clean Alpine! What happens if you need to put the hood up with the engine running during the rain? Odd place to put the air cleaner opening...
The hood only gets raised at shows or when I'm cleaning or doing maintenance. Did you notice that the engine sets at an angle and also has a front strut suspension as well as factory dual brake master cylinder? Everything hydraulic on these cars was Lockheed instead of Girling. The air cleaner neck was designed to be rotated so warm air could be pulled off the exhaust manifold in cold temps since these cars have emission carbs. Check out the wheel well mouldings . These photo were taken at Carlisle ,Pa. The license plates were on my green car back in 1969 which is the year this car is titled even though it was built in 1968.
100_0192.JPG
100_0189.JPG

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just bead blast the fuse block contacts from a safe distance. Any weakness will show up immediately. Original brass is a better way to go. Just sayin'
I have a collection of various small wire brushes that work good for cleaning and I always use electric terminal grease.