retracting shoulder belts?

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
I've searched and read a bunch of threads on this topic. Most seem to go into using just lap belts and no detail on actual retracting shoulder belts. Moss has a bunch of different ones available, but I don't know what would fit/work. Has anyone actually installed shoulder belts? I'm aware of the mounting point for the shoulder part, and assume the retracting mechanism would mount somewhere below that.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I used to have a set of retracting shoulder belts. I mounted the retractor units at the base of the rear wheelarches where they meet the rear shelf. Used the upper hole on the wheelarch for the pivot point for the belt going over your shoulder. seemed to work just fine. I used Moss part 222.006 (black, hook mount type) you must install a spacer between the wheelarch and the retractor or the belts will drag on the upholstery.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The number comes from my current distributor part book. Current price list shows $125.99 ea. (2 required) Also avail are 222-005 (bolt mount) same price. Both show as currently available on the Moss website... I just checked.

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Got it. You initially wrote "222.006" and the Moss website search is fussy enough that it didn't come back with anything. 222-006 it found. So thank you very much for that info.

I just don't feel safe with only a lap belt.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I figured!, My dedicated sales guy is used to me just resorting to the numerical keypad when I order! I've been a Moss distributor for 40 years...

these shoulder belts really works well, as long as you remember to space the retractor off of the wheelarch. The Mk1 has less padding under the vinyl, the MK1a and Mk2 have 1/2" foam under the vinyl and that causes undo drag on the belt. I find on the Mk1 a couple of washers work just fine, on the later cars I fit a 3/8" thick spacer with a large washer on the tire side of the wheelarch so that the bolt can't pull through if the worst happens....

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Got the seat belts that you referenced. Very nice! Not too difficult to install. I had the hole in the wheel arch on one side only. My car has a lot of mods and may have been tubbed a bit for wider tires. But they work very nicely and I feel a lot more secure with shoulder belts.

Thanks again for the info!

Rick

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.41.15 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 8.41.15 PM.jpg