Reverse light wire routing

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
We discovered that our reverse lights were not working and began to troubleshoot. What I found was a black wire with a red stripe that I believe is supposed to go to the switch on the trans, is simply coiled up in the left side fuel tank well. Couple of questions.

Does the black wire with a red stripe sound stock/ish?
Is that wire normally part of a loom? Or an option? I believe that when we had the car tac'ed there was some question of it having two reverse lights and that not being normal?
If it is a dealer added item/s what would a typical wire route to the switch be?

I will try to post pics in a bit when I get back to working on it.

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Here is the bundle of wire and where we found it tucked into the tank well.

Reverse light wire in tank well.jpg

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
always check the wire diagram. Reverse lights are only stock on the Mk II, I believe.
Wire diagram indicates - Green wire - power to reverse light switch, Green/ Brown wire from switch to lights.
The color of the wire to the lights is up to you but you should note it somehow or label the black/ red wire if you use it.
Wire route - I followed the loom to the rear of the car, I crossed under the carpet to the trans tunnel. I have the wires from the switch through a spot under the trans tunnel cover plate.
I'm not sure if that is how the wire is loomed on the Mk II.
Ron Fraser

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I will also add the reverse lights are both rectangular Lucas lights. I should have taken pictures when I had it out of the garage. :homer:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you have the rectangular lights and have a MK 1A then you have the correct lamps. The MK 1A is based on the series 5 Alpine body which used these Lucas lights bolted to the rear valance. The MK 1 was based on the series 4 Alpine body which used the Wipac bullet style lamps. Both styles were options and not standard items. There was also a rectangular Lucas light that used a similar lense but the light body was flat and was usually fastened to the trunk lid.

Last edited:

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I will also add the reverse lights are both rectangular Lucas lights. I should have taken pictures when I had it out of the garage. :homer:
There were “Sparto” reverse lights offered as an accessory, they were a round light and housing with a chrome peak and an angled rubber mount which rested against the rear valence below the bumper. (Harley Davidson also used a variation of this) The other version which came standard on all Mkll’s were a pair of Wipac rear rectangular like lights , (rear mount, not top mount) with a white reflector. (I have seen some chrome) I have never seen a Lucas pair of back up lights.

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Stand by, after moving the car back out and putting my glasses on, definitely WIPAC made in England rectangular lights. Working on uploading pics.
20230730_172121.jpg
20230730_172151.jpg
20230730_172217.jpg
20230730_172223.jpg

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There were “Sparto” reverse lights offered as an accessory, they were a round light and housing with a chrome peak and an angled rubber mount which rested against the rear valence below the bumper. (Harley Davidson also used a variation of this) The other version which came standard on all Mkll’s were a pair of Wipac rear rectangular like lights , (rear mount, not top mount) with a white reflector. (I have seen some chrome) I have never seen a Lucas pair of back up lights.

View attachment 18111

View attachment 18112

View attachment 18113

View attachment 18114
E Types used Lucas as did MG's and TR 4. Probably others also. The Sparto bullet style were used on Alpines thru series 4. They had an angled metal spacer that set between the rear valance and the lamp and set them out from the body.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
E Types used Lucas as did MG's and TR 4. Probably others also. The Sparto bullet style were used on Alpines thru series 4. They had an angled metal spacer that set between the rear valance and the lamp and set them out from the body.
Maybe Jags and MG’s used Lucas back up lights. It‘s a Sunbeam Tiger site here, we’re trying to help other people with Sunbeams, particularly Tigers and their owners. Kind of like talking about Hemi’s, or Aston Martin’s but we won’t, because this is a Tiger site to exchange Useful info to help other Tiger owners. To further the Wipac conversation, Cortina’s and other makes also used the Wipacs. Don’t know why there is any mention of Lucas back up lights in this conversation.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe Jags and MG’s used Lucas back up lights. It‘s a Sunbeam Tiger site here, we’re trying to help other people with Sunbeams, particularly Tigers and their owners. Kind of like talking about Hemi’s, or Aston Martin’s but we won’t, because this is a Tiger site to exchange Useful info to help other Tiger owners. To further the Wipac conversation, Cortina’s and other makes also used the Wipacs. Don’t know why there is any mention of Lucas back up lights in this conversation.
Brian you are correct, the wipac SAE r66 rear mounted rectangular lamps.

Lucas were not a factory option for Alpine/tigers. Klaus and Cary have the correct lamps

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pull up the home page and read what is printed at the top of the shown image.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pull up the home page and read what is printed at the top of the shown image.
Don't see mention of Jags, Aston's, MG and Triumph on the home page... Just Rootes cars.

And the question was specific to the owners Tiger

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I'm about to put reversing lights on my Mk 1 - I have a mint set of the correct Wipac lights for the Mk 1a (and same as fitted to My Series V Alpine ) which I was going to use. But l like the look of the Spartos but never seen for sale anywhere So probably will use the Wipacs-Over the years I have lost a couple of the Alpines Wipacs when stones have flicked up and taken them out -Karl

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a box of these lights- would like to sell all- I'm tripping over them- spare lens also- taking all offers would like north of $250 for the bunch-also there is one Lucas

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6000.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
When reverse lights were originally fitted the wire to the lights from the switch would have been green/brown tracer. The wire to the switch would have been green (hot key on). Mk1's do not include reverse lamp wires in the body harness, Mk2's do.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well Robert .. it seems you don't even have reverse Lamps on that trailer.. just some rather incorrect attempts at a rootes logo...

Well Robert .. it seems you don't even have reverse Lamps on that trailer.. just some rather incorrect attempts at a rootes logo...

That said... Incorrect details couldn't be more appropriate for anything being towed in that box

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O