Reverse Lock-Out

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seems that my reverse lock-out cable is kaput as I can't get into reverse. T-Handle pulls up but doesn't retract. Google search seems to indicate that I'll need torch/braising skills. How have you remedied it in the past?

Warren

Gold forum user
That seems accurate. A close inspection will show that there's a cable that does the functioning maybe it's easier just to send it to Bill Healy or Heely.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That seems accurate. A close inspection will show that there's a cable that does the functioning maybe it's easier just to send it to Bill Healy or Heely.
Thanks, Warren. There are two bolts at the bottom of the shifter, can I just remove those and take the shifter off and instepect further? I presume so, but feeling my way.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
I had Bill repair mine, a good suggestion is to send him a new boot (or he may have them). Makes it easier to put on with the “T’ out.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spoke with Bill Healy and got me pointed in a direction to get started. BTW, he now uses epoxy vs. braising on the cable. Having removed the broken lockout, I can now shift into reverse, or is it first gear? So few parts, it looks like a simple setup to repair. BTW, mine has a rod vs. a braided wire.

I haven't used his services yet, but I'd recommend him based on just how helpful he was on the phone. As a bonus, he lives ~45 minutes away from me. reverselockout2.jpgreverselockout2 (1).jpgreverselockout.jpg

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Wow, I suppose if you can get it clean enough epoxies the ticket. Great idea about sending along the boot when in for repair.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spoke with Bill Healy and got me pointed in a direction to get started. BTW, he now uses epoxy vs. braising on the cable. Having removed the broken lockout, I can now shift into reverse, or is it first gear? So few parts, it looks like a simple setup to repair. BTW, mine has a rod vs. a braided wire.

I haven't used his services yet, but I'd recommend him based on just how helpful he was on the phone. As a bonus, he lives ~45 minutes away from me.View attachment 14238View attachment 14237View attachment 14236
Yup, I've done a few. A slight kink on the wire end helps keep it from slipping thru if the fastening method fails.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yup, I've done a few. A slight kink on the wire end helps keep it from slipping thru if the fastening method fails.
Would I have to heat the existing braze or could I grind it off? Also, what length of 1/16 wire should I use? Not sure if it's a specific length of wire or more an art to get the pawl flush on the bottom and retract with the T handle. Yah, Bill mentioned that he kinks the wire ends too. TIA

Took the bench grinder to the pawl and ground the braze down to almost taking material off of the pawl. Stopped there as I didn't want to damage the pawl. May have been really close to getting the wire to break free of effing up the pawl.

groundpawl.jpg

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Would I have to heat the existing braze or could I grind it off? Also, what length of 1/16 wire should I use? Not sure if it's a specific length of wire or more an art to get the pawl flush on the bottom and retract with the T handle. Yah, Bill mentioned that he kinks the wire ends too. TIA

Took the bench grinder to the pawl and ground the braze down to almost taking material off of the pawl. Stopped there as I didn't want to damage the pawl. May have been really close to getting the wire to break free of effing up the pawl.

View attachment 14249
Had the same issue with mine. The solder/brazing failed between the wire and the pawl and the pawl wouldn't lift. Used map gas available from home depot, (burns hotter than propane) with a torch adapter and was able to melt the solder on the end of the cable and cleaned everything up. Some flux and silver solder and I haven't had any problems since.

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I am trying to help friend out with his broke handle. His had a rod compared to mine that had a wire. It looks like the rod required a larger hole to pass through the lockout piece making it weaker in the middle that lead to the break. Was the rod factory or did someone add the rod thinking it was stronger than the cable. See pictures for comparison

AD355246-6412-4C1D-810A-D417699F7DE9.jpeg

9AF4005F-6054-4ED4-B5EF-53422352F1BC.jpeg

1F9A4609-3C55-4A98-8B51-09A1E001DE73.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would assume it's a owner mod.. but are both those handles factory? Note the difference in the castings. The lower one has much more rounded ends on the handle and also slightly more radius on the corners of the centre peice

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a car where someone hand made (assume with hand file) a T handle pull piece and actually did an excellent job considering. I prev repaired shifter early 90's was using piano wire and TIG weld - I know that shifter is still working fine today. Several years back (pre Covid) I had found a Ford shifter guy named BIll Healy who could do these repairs. Did excellent shifter rebuild for me from just the base rod piece - got it back looking and working good as new at very resonable price. He also had a good chrome shop connection and spare parts to make these shifters look like new. You can web search his name with 'Ford Shifter' and find him - very sought after by the 60's Ford 4spd owners.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That rod is modification fer sure. The stock Ford was always wire to the lockout. There are several ways to restore that broken unit. It's only time & $$$.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a car where someone hand made (assume with hand file) a T handle pull piece and actually did an excellent job considering. I prev repaired shifter early 90's was using piano wire and TIG weld - I know that shifter is still working fine today. Several years back (pre Covid) I had found a Ford shifter guy named BIll Healy who could do these repairs. Did excellent shifter rebuild for me from just the base rod piece - got it back looking and working good as new at very resonable price. He also had a good chrome shop connection and spare parts to make these shifters look like new. You can web search his name with 'Ford Shifter' and find him - very sought after by the 60's Ford 4spd owners.
Bill Heeley's contact info is listed in the Whitepages, located in the CAT Member area of this Forum.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bill Heeley repaired mine. Piano wire bent over and JB weld (vs braze) to secure.