Rim back spacing.

aussie rob

Bronze forum user
Hi,

I am running 14" performance brand (superlite style) rims on my Tiger and was curious as to what back spacing others have with their rims. The rims have always been on my Tiger since my late Father bought and restored it, but I am curious as to why the front and rear rims have different back spacings. The only thing I can think of was to have similar track widths front to rear, but not sure. I have seen no other Tiger with this setup. Any ideas from the wider Tiger community? :confused:

Thanks, Robin.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Rear Track

You are right!

The rear axle was purchased from an existing production run. (Anyone know which British machine?) Much cheaper than ordering a smallish run of a customer spec length.

So Tigers have a narrower track in back. Longer studs with spacers, a wider rear wheel rim or greater offset correct the narrow track look. Some also use a larger section rear tire. i.e. 195 front 205 rear to help fill some of that air under rear fender (wing).

Rick

Last edited:

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
I'm running 15" x 7" Panasports on the rear of my car with 225/50-R15 tires. The set up looks and handles great but yes, tracking is narrower than the 15x6's on the front.

I considered spacers but would have to do some serious wheel arch rolling to gain sufficient clearance. No doubt the 20+ year-old Sikkens paint would crack. So, for me, wider tracking ain't gonna happen. :)

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
a wider rear wheel rim

My second example. Wider rear rims put the tire (tyre) center-line further from the the center of car/diff. A wider track than it would have if you had 6" rims front and rear.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi,

I am running 14" performance brand (superlite style) rims on my Tiger and was curious as to what back spacing others have with their rims. The rims have always been on my Tiger since my late Father bought and restored it, but I am curious as to why the front and rear rims have different back spacings. The only thing I can think of was to have similar track widths front to rear, but not sure. I have seen no other Tiger with this setup. Any ideas from the wider Tiger community? :confused:

Thanks, Robin.

Rob,

Seen 2 other tigers all with 14" performance superlites on them with the same staggered offset as yours.. all cars restored by Mal as was yours.. perhaps ask him why he chooses to do that?.. IIRC there is shallow rim to the outside on the front and deep on the back. The blue ex Jackie Tiger was the same and mals current light blue one is too. he must have his reasons.

He also did a similar offset setup on the SA Tiger.. but given the size of wheels and other mods on it.. that may be for different reasons..

Last edited:

aussie rob

Bronze forum user
Hi,
Thanks for the replies gents. From memory, and without my WSM handy I think the difference was approximately 8mm between front and rear tracks (the exact difference between my rim offsets). I was considering getting two new rims as rotating wheels becomes a hassle. As it is, I can only swap fronts to back or vica versa (not diagonally).
Regards, Robin.

Warren

Gold forum user
Hey

Good to see you on board with us on top of the world Robin. Thanks for your help in the past.

aussie rob

Bronze forum user
Good to see you on board with us on top of the world Robin. Thanks for your help in the past.

Thanks Warren and no problems. I joined a while back but was too busy on other forums. I did post this on STOC, but for some reason had no reply.

Regards, Robin.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Correct

Front Track 131.4 cm 4' - 3 3/4"

Rear Track 123.2 cm 4' - 1/2"

Rear narrower by 8.2cm or 3 1/4"

Rick, just to clarify (for others) 8 cm is the 'correct' answer, not the 8mm referenced earlier...makes a big difference for somebody planning a wheel purchase!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick, just to clarify (for others) 8 cm is the 'correct' answer, not the 8mm referenced earlier...makes a big difference for somebody planning a wheel purchase!

what's 10 times the measurement between friends.. 8cm = 80mm.

You'd be hard pushed to notice 8mm difference offset 4mm side to side by eye.