Seat back lever spring.

66Tiger1A

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have a source for the spring that holds the seat back lever down? If I even push back on my seat the lever pops up and the seat reclines. I think that I need a stronger spring.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Does anyone have a source for the spring that holds the seat back lever down? If I even push back on my seat the lever pops up and the seat reclines. I think that I need a stronger spring.
I have a bunch... how many would you like??

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
First check the alignment of the toothed sprockets. Sometimes a bit of crowbar tweaking saves the day. Once in a while, I need to add a bit of weld to the square block that pushes the sprocket into engagement a bit further.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
First check the alignment of the toothed sprockets. Sometimes a bit of crowbar tweaking saves the day. Once in a while, I need to add a bit of weld to the square block that pushes the sprocket into engagement a bit further.
Agree Just this morning i got my seat back form the autotrimmer -In my case the seat frame at the base had bent and broken meaning the sprocket plate was angled badly and not engaging as it should -Unfortunately was way past a crowbar and needed welding .

66Tiger1A

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I don't know what to tweak it looks like the two geared pieces seem to fit together well. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

66Tiger1A

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Here are the pictures of the seat back lock mechanism. The gears don't seem to fit as well as I thought but they do overlap by at least 50%. The second photo shows the spring that I think is the problem. I'm going try to pull some of the coils down to give it more tension. If that doesn't work it's back to the folded up army blanket stuffed behind it to keep it upright.
IMG_2936.jpg
IMG_2939.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
they should be flush. I'll bet when you take it apart you will find some pretty severe wear. I have the gear, pawl and spring if you end up needing them.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
they should be flush. I'll bet when you take it apart you will find some pretty severe wear. I have the gear, pawl and spring if you end up needing them.
Here are the pictures of the seat back lock mechanism. The gears don't seem to fit as well as I thought but they do overlap by at least 50%. The second photo shows the spring that I think is the problem. I'm going try to pull some of the coils down to give it more tension. If that doesn't work it's back to the folded up army blanket stuffed behind it to keep it upright.View attachment 17966View attachment 17967
Yup; that is a common misalignment fer sure. And you can bet the teeth edges have suffered. The upright portion of the lower seat frame has shifted which leads me to apply my long-distance diagnostic crowbar. They are a marginal frame construction and will tweak back easier than they should.