Seeking Tiger

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The above listing is very likely a scam. All of the pictures were lifted directly from an Ebay listing in June of 2021. It failed to sell after being bid to $58K. Previously it was on Hemming's site at $100K. If this business does actually exist it's one of 2 in Houston Tx. with the same name... One thing is for certain, it is a real Tiger with a quality restoration that is priced way too cheap to believe. Especially considering the car that sold on BAT a couple of weeks ago for nearly $60K. The white car is many magnitudes of order nicer in every respect. When I first saw the pics, I expected an asking price nearer to $80K
Liquidators Auto Sales is a consignment dealer. They work on a commission when the car sells just like a real estate broker does with properties.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It was also on Bring a Trailer in June, 2021 with the same photos. Bid to $58K. Reusing old photos always raises a flag to me.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It was also on Bring a Trailer in June, 2021 with the same photos. Bid to $58K. Reusing old photos always raises a flag to me.
If the site is advertising it at 49k and going to take their consignment cut from that.... They must be thinking the seller is very motivated to sell....or just running it up the flagpole...

tirechip

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Unable to get a return call or return email after asking about pre buy inspections, deposit/earnest $ and very unusual responses

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If the site is advertising it at 49k and going to take their consignment cut from that.... They must be thinking the seller is very motivated to sell....or just running it up the flagpole...
When you act as a middle man in a consignment sale there is usually an agreement in writing as to what the owner is willing to sell for as well as other details such as shipping, etc.. I've done consignment deals to sell our older tankers with one of the dealers that I bought new trucks from. We kept the consignment vehicles on one of our lots until sold so the car is probably in the possession of the seller. Why not use the previous photos if they give a good representation of the condition of the car? The wife and I are at the age where we don't need a dozen cars so we're considering thinning the herd and when I contacted BAT they suggested I have a professional photographer take photos of a car we've thought about selling. Those photos would become my property so I could do what I wanted with them. That includes allowing any future consignment dealer to use them. There are a lot of folks that are upside down concerning what they have in a car versus current selling price. Interest rates on loans are up as well as on lines of credit. The economy isn't the best and Michael is probably correct in saying the owner is motivated to sell. Tigers are not the only marque that pricing has gone soft.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
When you act as a middle man in a consignment sale there is usually an agreement in writing as to what the owner is willing to sell for as well as other details such as shipping, etc.. I've done consignment deals to sell our older tankers with one of the dealers that I bought new trucks from. We kept the consignment vehicles on one of our lots until sold so the car is probably in the possession of the seller. Why not use the previous photos if they give a good representation of the condition of the car? The wife and I are at the age where we don't need a dozen cars so we're considering thinning the herd and when I contacted BAT they suggested I have a professional photographer take photos of a car we've thought about selling. Those photos would become my property so I could do what I wanted with them. That includes allowing any future consignment dealer to use them. There are a lot of folks that are upside down concerning what they have in a car versus current selling price. Interest rates on loans are up as well as on lines of credit. The economy isn't the best and Michael is probably correct in saying the owner is motivated to sell. Tigers are not the only marque that pricing has gone soft.
why on earth would anyone sell a Tiger through an auto liquidator?? just about the very worst venue possible.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The same "supposed" vendor was also claiming they have B382002020LRXFE available. They want more for this car than the white car. This car does not have a hardtop and is a driver that really needs paint. As with the white car, all of the pictures were lifted from a 2021 BAT auction listing.

I had a former client who bought a C2 Vette from an on-line vendor... He told them to go out and put a baseball cap on the hood, take a picture and email it to him. At the very least this proved the car was in their possession!

in any event, the website is no longer up... a pretty good indication

tirechip

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Good Morning All

Is there a list of internal and external trim and badging options by model? For example, does the "SUNBEAM" lettering appear on the front of all models, or is it different between models. Another example, what instruments and switches are correct for models. That way, if I look at a database or VINs, engine codes or month/year of manufacture, can I tell what the trim should be?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Good Morning All

Is there a list of internal and external trim and badging options by model? For example, does the "SUNBEAM" lettering appear on the front of all models, or is it different between models. Another example, what instruments and switches are correct for models. That way, if I look at a database or VINs, engine codes or month/year of manufacture, can I tell what the trim should be?
Mk1 cars are prefixed B947
MK1 CKD cars are prefixed B948 (S. Africa)
MK1a cars are prefixed B382
MK2 cars are prefixed B3821

Sunbeam letters front and aft on MK1 (B947 cars), Sunbeam letters on the boot only for MK1a (B382 cars) Sunbeam script on the hood and "Tiger" script on the boot lid on MK2 (B3821 cars)
Stainless pin beading on MK1/MK1a only. All cars have "Tiger" script on front fenders, MK2 has "Sunbeam" foil stickers adjacent to Tiger script on fenders and boot lid.
All models have shields below Tiger script and on RH side of boot lid either denoting engine size or stating "V8" depending on model.
Cars built from 1966 have a plastic gold "Penatastar" at the base of the RH front fender
MK1 and MK1a have 2 part Rootes shields on each rear fender at the end of the pin beading (also used on the Sunbeam Talbot 90 MK3!)
MK2's have stainless wheelarch moldings
MK2's have stainless sill moldings
Mk2's had a vinyl stripe by the sill moldings on USA spec cars similar to the Shelby Mustang GT350
MK1/MK1a have the same grille as the current Alpine
MK2 grilles have an alloy (bright dip finish) eggcrate grille insert and the top brow is unique to the Mk2

Mk1/MK1a used gauges with faces in the same pattern as the series 4 Alpine. Tiger tach is electric and speedo goes to 140. Water, oil and fuel gauges are identical to Alpine. Tiger tachs are 6K with a 5K redline.
MK2 gauges have the same face style as Series 5 Alpine. Water, oil and fuel gauges identical to Alpine.

Switches are identical across the models except for MK1 Tiger blower (fan) switch which is on the sliding control, instead of to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.

All MK1/MK1a cars had 260 engines and close ratio toploader (Ford) gearboxes originally (HEH-E), early MK1 (57 cars) have B/W gearbox. (side cover), same as GT350 Shelby Mustang. MK2's has 289 and wide ratio top loader (Ford) gearboxes. (HEH -CF)

The attachment points for the panhard rod on the rear axle were reversed on the Mk2.

Steering racks changed during the MK1A range and so did the steering columns.

Mk1 interior trim is smooth grain, no upper door pads, plain (unpleated) door panels , folding doors (3) for top storage. Very early cars have vinyl face dash, later cars have veneered walnut dash.
MK1a interior trim is pebble grain, padded upper door pads, (GT interior) fresh air vents with pull controls below lower dash pad. Top cover now vinyl with revised interior behind seats. QTR window bases altered to suit GT interior.
Mk2 interior trim is as Mk1a but with different seat pleat pattern.

All cars had an "open" glove box incorporating a grab (panic) handle.

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Morning All

Open the TE/AE site. You'll see Tiger concorse judging guide lines. Open that and enjoy the photos.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
That is NOT the case. I just had a long discussion with the friendly folks at Bringatrailer... all content, photos and videos are copyrighted and are the property of BaT (regardless of who took them) and CANNOT be used without express written permission. They asked that I send them links to the so they could turn it over to their legal guys and take action. I suggested, in the future, they might consider "watermarking" the content of current and past listings so it'd be obvious if any were used in a fraudulent ad.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That is NOT the case. I just had a long discussion with the friendly folks at Bringatrailer... all content, photos and videos are copyrighted and are the property of BaT (regardless of who took them) and CANNOT be used without express written permission. They asked that I send them links to the so they could turn it over to their legal guys and take action. I suggested, in the future, they might consider "watermarking" the content of current and past listings so it'd be obvious if any were used in a fraudulent ad.
Did you ask BAT what their procedure would be if the photos were taken by a professional photographer that had done a copy right of the photos? The photographer would have to give BAT permission to use them but would BAT be able to copy right something already in the system?