Shifters

Cal44

Gold forum user
I am a little confused and could use some direction concerning the four speed shifters. I get the short one (early) but I see some that are straight and some with a bend.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Gear Sticks

The shorty was always a straight wee post. Whereas, the taller unit had a comfy bend to keep it closer to you in the forward positions. The photo shows my original racing handle (bottom in the pic) with more bend to keep 3rd gear within easy reach when on a busy track.

Cal44

Gold forum user
oneoffive,

what about the straight ones. I have seen more than a couple of Tigers with straight shifters.

Example, the white one on Ebay currently, unless my eyes are worse than I thought. What gives? short, bent and straight

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
oneoffive,

what about the straight ones. I have seen more than a couple of Tigers with straight shifters.

Example, the white one on Ebay currently, unless my eyes are worse than I thought. What gives? short, bent and straight

Mike i think the white car on ebay has a hurst shifter mechanism with a replica shifter on top.. there are available from cobra suppliers and places like dave kee.. they look similar to the tiger shifters, and often the lockouts are purely aesthetic.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"What about the straight ones?"

Many owner mods have occurred over a Tiger's life span. The shifter length & shape is just one of many personal touches. I agree with MK's previous post . . .. . .

Cal44

Gold forum user
I need to ask the all knowing if this early shifter looks to be original Tiger/Cobra. Fully functional tee handle with controlled thingy at the bottom (not pictured) controlled by the T.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All Knowing What?

The all knowing broke his leg in the last race and we had to put him down. Other than that, the shifter in yer pic is a for real "shorty".

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Mike i think the white car on ebay has a hurst shifter mechanism with a replica shifter on top.. there are available from cobra suppliers and places like dave kee.. they look similar to the tiger shifters, and often the lockouts are purely aesthetic.

Correct, Michael... I'm including a pic ( from the ad ) of the trans from that car sitting on the floor. I have the same Hurst shifter and handle on my toploader although the trans is no longer in the car... I bought the handle from Dan Williams toploaders.. He sells it as a repro Cobra 289 shifter...

Jim
B382000446