Shocks

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Does anyone have the correct #'s for Kyb's and/or Bilstein shocks? For my 66. Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
I found this on another site unsure about it's fitment.
KYB Gas-A-Just Gas Shock
Part # KG5514 Line: KYB

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The little that I think I know, or found on other sites - none of this info is verified and aside from my own Camaro experience, all gleaned from the net where everything is true.
While a shock physically may fit, is the valving appropriate for a Tiger?
Alpine shocks listed as the same as a Tiger. Surely the valving would be different?

Rear are often referenced online as 68-69 Camaro. While they fit with a bit of fettling, not sure if the valving is appropriate
I bought the QA1 single adjust TS703 version and had to machine a bushing to fit the Tiger stud on the axle. TD703 is double adjust

Speedway list the QA1 TS303 as a front shock. No idea if this is correct

UK suppliers list a Spax G524 and G523 F&R
Not confirmed, but Jim Gislason has/had them and may chime in

Koni numbers vary and not sure if this is Vendor re-badged or not
The most common numbers seem 82-1348 and 82-1347

From KYB tech dept
KG4616 (front) & 343211 (rear).

I too am looking for shocks, and wish there was a definitive answer. Surely someone has bought shocks recently?

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I found this on another site unsure about it's fitment.
KYB Gas-A-Just Gas Shock
Part # KG5514 Line: KYB
Not sure about that either as stud both ends

Shock Stroke Range: 5.00" to 5.99"

Stroke: 5.12"

Upper Shock Mount: Single Stud
Lower Shock Mount: Single Stud
Extended Length Range: 13.00" to 13.99"
Extended Length: 13.86"
Compressed Length Range: 8.00" to 8.99"
Compressed Length: 8.74"

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user
From SAOCA

Same as Alpine

Shocks Alpine 3,4,5 Front Monroe Gas Sensatrac 5815-ST
Rear Monroe 34954,58568 Ford F-100 1956-74

Plus this ...

http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/shocks-for-a-series-v.28345/#post-199595

Physically fitting is one thing, but It is the valving that I wonder about - how can a pickup rear shock, or 3500 lb Camaro rear shock work properly on the rear of a 2500 lb Tiger?
Does the adjustable compression and rebound on the QA1 - TD703 compensate to some meaningful degree for the weight and weight transfer difference?

To a lesser extent, Does the Alpine require the same valving as a Tiger?

Does any shock have the valving optimized for a Tiger?
Koni as sold by SS? - Alpine and Tiger are the same

Do I remember correctly that the old CAT shocks had Tiger specific damping???

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Robert all good questions.
Call em a trade secret of a Sunbeam supplier. Also like covering the part number on a Girling box.

As for the CAT parts ? Have to ask Bill G. Or get was it an Edelbrock shock? for the part number.

As for the KYB's. They seem so reasonably priced I would give them a go.
My other cars had them and while daily drivers were certainly adequate. Until I left one car sit for 20 years and then the seal went bad and it leaked oil out of the shock :)

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I thank all for your input, hope more #'s and info comes in. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿฏ

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Robert all good questions.
Call em a trade secret of a Sunbeam supplier. Also like covering the part number on a Girling box.

As for the CAT parts ? Have to ask Bill G. Or get was it an Edelbrock shock? for the part number.

As for the KYB's. They seem so reasonably priced I would give them a go.
My other cars had them and while daily drivers were certainly adequate. Until I left one car sit for 20 years and then the seal went bad and it leaked oil out of the shock :)
I "think" that the Koni numbers I posted are correct, and came from an E coast supplier. The SS number is different at 8210-1164 and 1163, with no cross that I could find at Koni.......
In any case SS has them and Tiger/Alpine my valving concerns aside, they fit.

IIRC the old CAT shocks were NLA Edlebrock, and valved for the Tiger

KYB Gas Adjust are probably fine for a slightly better than stock replacement. Performance drivers will want something better, hence my interest

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought Spax adjustable shocks. I have used them before in other cars and I liked them. I have not tested them yet on my Tiger.
The part numbers are G523 rear and G524 front.

I had used koni shocks on my Lotus way back when and did not like them since they are not easy to adjust and are expensive.

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
As far as shocks go, from another Sunbeam tiger club owners website, the mention of The tiger being equivalent to the fox body Ford mustang, though I only see the rear shocks looking as they may fit; the front shocks seem to be a different mounting configuration. Wondering if this comparison has any merit? PS the weight of the fox body mustang was posted at 2700 lb as opposed to the tigers 2600. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿฏ

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I bought Spax adjustable shocks. I have used them before in other cars and I liked them. I have not tested them yet on my Tiger.
The part numbers are G523 rear and G524 front.

I had used koni shocks on my Lotus way back when and did not like them since they are not easy to adjust and are expensive.
That confirms the Spax part numbers that I posted earlier
Thanks

BTW, the new Koni design is an adjustment knob, not the old remove, collapse, turn to adjust, reinstall, repeat......
200 USD ea

Hoghead

Gold forum user
As far as shocks go, from another Sunbeam tiger club owners website, the mention of The tiger being equivalent to the fox body Ford mustang, though I only see the rear shocks looking as they may fit; the front shocks seem to be a different mounting configuration. Wondering if this comparison has any merit? PS the weight of the fox body mustang was posted at 2700 lb as opposed to the tigers 2600. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿฏ
Jim and I both have Mustang II coil-overs on the front, but I think that the OP is looking for a stock mount method

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Jim and I both have Mustang II coil-overs on the front, but I think that the OP is looking for a stock mount method
Haven't learned forum terminology yet, what's an OP? Is the mustang 2 coilover a different mounting method then the OEM mounts? Thanks for your reply ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฏ

stevenl

Silver forum user
CAT Member

Thanks holy cat, the information you've given me regarding my posts have been very helpful I do appreciate. ๐Ÿ‘

Hoghead, was searching the mustang two coilovers and smooth body and was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on your opinion on the shocks in a tiger as far as usage, ( track Street or both), and do you still have model number for that shock? And possibly a little more on the mounting situation in a stock, with poly-urethane bushings, front suspension? As always I appreciate any info you can give me on these matters ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘