Solid Lifter Cam?

Ford_Crazy

Bronze forum user
I am a real fan of the factory 289 HiPo solid lifter cam. I assume this is out of the question in a Tiger due to the problems removing the valve covers for lash adjustments? :eek:

FrankS

Silver forum user
Solid lifters

Not a motor head I know enough to hire a pro, but if I remeber correctly on my first Tiger we double nutted the thing and something else and I never had to adjust them, I'll see if I can find notes from that car.. I'm sure a true expert will answer this better. Also we put allen heads in on the valve coverss so it would be easier to get at.

johnnydarkgt350

Bronze forum user
Solids and the reminder of those days !

There is a company that custom makes and pre breaks in your custom designed solid lifer cam; ; designed to run at only 012 to 014 and that lash helps to maintain their postion better;; less violence or hammering; let me know if you want their info; brings back the fearsome sound that the faster cars had on criuse nite in the 60's; you better have had something for the solid lifter cars; they were the true factory hi-po"s;:D:D:eek:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I for one am very intrigued by this thread! Where can you even find a factory HiPo solid lifter cam and lifters any more? Sounds like reproductions may be available? Regards, Gene

johnnydarkgt350

Bronze forum user
the click of the hi-po's!

Cam designers have computer programs for your weight and gearings and cubic inches ; types of heads; compression; built to suit and a little more to put on the pre break machine so he numbers each lifter; and they will help the "oh oh; my cam went flat problem; Frank is right about thin lock type back nuts; they tight aginst themselves so no movement and since the cams broken in already; you may find re adjustment far out;

Ford_Crazy

Bronze forum user
You can buy still buy all the Ford factory high performance cams from Holman & Moody. They have all the specs and custom grind them for each order. My 1965 Shelby GT350 clone ran a Lemans cam for a while (way too radical), so I switched to a 289 HiPo cam. Great idle, nice tic-tic-tic of the solid lifters, terrific mid-range and good top end. Solid lifter cams are more responsive than hydraulic cams, but they require periodic lifter adjustments. Lock nuts and such work fine, but you still need to adjust eventually. How hard is it to remove the valve covers from a Sunbeam Tiger without dropping the engine?

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I have removed my original thin metal chromed HiPo style valve covers several times over the past 44 years with the motor in the car. It takes a lot of patience, but you can snake them out. The back bolts are a real pain to get in and out, especially in. I can see how allen head bolts could be a big help. My relevant experience ends there.
If you have roller rockers it is likely to be more of a problem since they require polylok type nuts on the studs and thus stick up higher, reducing clearance. I have heard that you can use them with the thin metal covers but have to take the baffles out. I will leave that for others to confirm. Using the thick cast aluminum Powered By Ford covers might be more of a problem, but I have no direct experience with that either, yet. Regards, Gene

Last edited:

Cal44

Gold forum user
First off, I am not an engine builder. "K" Hipo parts are not that difficult to find.

Dual point distributor and crank caps are not cheap. If you stay authentic a Ford 4100 carb will be correct. A good set of cast iron hipo heads run about a thousand dollars. Heavy duty crank balancer and hatchet, got no clue. The hipo exhaust manifolds are a moot point concerning installation in a Tiger.

The blocks were 289 blocks. When people talk about hipo 289 blocks it is nonsense. They came with cast iron intakes as well.

Lash is .024 if I remember correctly.

Hipo 289's started in '63 in Fairlanes for mass production.

I don't know anything about the install in Cobras.
My info has nothing to do with GT350 Mustangs.

If I have made any mistakes please correct me.
There is little in the car world that sounds better than Ford small block solid lifter engine..........it's just dreamy
Sorry.........got carried away.........I get very excited when it comes to these engines.
Mike

johnnydarkgt350

Bronze forum user
solids and their personality

I forgot to tell the solid lifter guys that in the last few years emmisions have caused most oil mfgs to leave the much needed ZINC out of their oil even mobil one etc. red line and royal purple still have the zinc needed to keep solid lifter cams from going flat; gm's e o s;[engine oil supplement] hasthe needed zinc for solids; ; it's all about the zinc!! and "smoking tires does not cause cancer""

chirodoc

Gold forum user
HIPO CAM

IF YOU WANT THE LUMPIDY LUMP SOUND BUT IN A HYDRAULIC CAM LOOK INTO COMP CAM'S NOSTALGIA CAM , 31-670-4. ON THEIR CAMQUEST COMPUTER PROGRAM IT IS GOOD FOR 345 HP AND 345 FT-LBS OF TORQUE @ 4000 RPM IN A 289. (219 DEGREES ON THE INTAKE @.050 AND 226 @ .050 ON THE EXHAUST) THERE ARE ALSO VIDIOS OF CUSTOMER CARS DOING THE LUMPIDY LUMP THING.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Semi solid lifters?

If you want the clicking of a solid lifter engine but freedom from the maintenance? Pick out a hydraulic lifter cam with the power band you want and cap it with Rhodes lifters. Variable lift hydraulic lifters which relax a little below 2000 rpm giving a better idle and low rpm torque. They make a bit of racket which is similar to a solid lifter cam.. but no maintenance. Assuming it survives break in. :mad:

More interested in power and using newer technology (hidden from sight and number snoopers) go for a hydraulic roller cam. Advantages over flat tappets: The cam profiles are more aggressive with more lift possible with reasonable duration. And break in problems are much less an issue. No clicking or periodic valve lash adjustments. :)

Rick

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Rhodes lifters WORK. At low rpm they leak down and reduce lift and overlap. Once the rpm builds they don't get a chance to leak down and you get the full lift and duration of the cam. I have used them in a Pontiac 400 with e heads and rpm cam. Another side benifit to them is, they increase manifold vacuum at low rpm. http://www.rhoadslifters.com/

Ford_Crazy

Bronze forum user
The Ford HiPo cam doesn't bump much. It's just sweet. I scored a 5 bolt 289 block a while back. I'll probably go with a retro fit B303 hydraulic roller and forget about the valve adjustments. Hard to beat Ford factory grinds. I'm an engine guy. The Sunbeam thing is new to me, but I like it so far. :)

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I have had my GT350 for over 15 yrs and only had the valves looked at one time--and the mechanic said they were fine. I have a solid lifter 289 in my Tiger too but so far have not tried to look at removing the valve covers.