Some pics of the panhard bar on the 9"

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here are some pics of my Tiger's panhard bar install at the shop. Don't worry plenty of articulation room and car weight added for fuel and guess of missing parts so bar tide height would be parallel when done.

FB_IMG_1656541239969.jpg

FB_IMG_1656541245706.jpg

FB_IMG_1656541254843.jpg

FB_IMG_1656541262630.jpg

FB_IMG_1656541269795.jpg

FB_IMG_1656541277509.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sandy im surprised you didnt build a watts linkage....
Actually.. With you...surprised its not IRS

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All more trouble then it's worth. Simplest was my direction in doing it. Move the bar to mount like the MK2 and a light 9" that is plenty strong... that is unless I botched the gear set up 😀. Otherwise watts was a lot of work, IRS? No need and way harder to set up IMO, and way more expensive for something durable with gear ratio selection. My full floater 9" with camberd hubs comes in 10 or so lbs over the the weak stock D44 that was pulled out with better brakes too. Also got the driveshaft back to center as a bonus 😀

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I actually set up an 8" rear axle pretty similar to this in another car... totally overkill unless the goal is to run the car on the track...

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I actually set up an 8" rear axle pretty similar to this in another car... totally overkill unless the goal is to run the car on the track...
Yes on the track and stock motor pulled 625hp on the dyno. I'm thinking a winter track car as I'll be working on cooling ones it running, one problem at a time 😀

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Could have copied the Watt's linkage on the Aston Martin DB5.... as it used a Dana 44 axle too! altho it was coil sprung and not leaf sprung (4 link)... Now in the midst of my 2nd DB5 restoration... The Jaguar XK150 also used a Dana 44 rear axle (leaf spring suspension)...

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Could have copied the Watt's linkage on the Aston Martin DB5.... as it used a Dana 44 axle too! altho it was coil sprung and not leaf sprung (4 link)... Now in the midst of my 2nd DB5 restoration... The Jaguar XK150 also used a Dana 44 rear axle (leaf spring suspension)...
The watts link was doable but it gets tight on the Tiger even after cutting the spare tire well out which was done. I don't have a D44 but rather a 9" floating axle and with things crammed in I went a different direction. The way I was going to do the watts was to move the propeller to the chassis and the 2 arms to the axle. Structurally its a good bit of work. I have that type on my 65 Mustang. Fab cost and related made me just go with a panhard bar mounted to the proper side like the Mk2. Will be fine for me, goal was to get it going 😀