Some Thoughts About the April 27 Streets of Willow Event from Steven Alcala

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
First Thought: I have been running LA Shelby's Streets of Willow event since it started in the early '90s (over 30 years ago). It is one of my favorite track events, and I try never to miss it. The Streets of Willow is a great track to initiate your road course experience. If you've done your share of autocrossing and want to take the next step, the Streets is the place. It's a lot more forgiving than the big track at Willow. Back in the '90s I ran my old white Tiger there; then moved on to my SVO-powered Alpine; then my Sebring tribute car, my authentic factory Sebring car--and now I'm lucky enough to race a car owned by my mechanic of over 40 years. Dan W.'s Weekend Racer. Last year I ran with LA Shelby, of which I am a member, and the price was $115. But we ran in July, and it was also 115 degrees. This April date is $155, and I'm hoping for better weather. I hope you come out on the 27th, support this event, and see what's involved.

Second Thought: In the early '90s, I put together an event called, "Tigers at Willow." It was quite a success: half a dozen cars on track and 30 plus Tigers there to spectate. This was at the Big Track, where you even got a lunchtime parade lap. Two years later, we put on ""Tigers at Willow II," held at the Streets of Willow. It only drew 20 cars overall, but was still a lot of fun. So if we were able to do this back then, maybe we can do it again this coming Saturday.

Third Thought: Sometime in the '90s, former CAT President, Tom D. came up with the idea of a Tiger Triathalon. You had to participate/attend 3 CAT meetings (easy enough), 3 car shows (not for everyone, but still no big), and 3 track events, an autocross, a drag race (I think we ran LA County raceway), and The Streets of Willow. At the year end Holiday Party, trophies were handed out to the few members who were able to do all 9 events. A couple of the guys did all 9 events in the same Tiger--quite a feat. (I drag raced and autocrossed by SVO-powered black Alpine and did the shows with my white Tiger.) Fast foward 25 years: Current CAT president, Dan M is trying to see if there's anyone among our 200 or so local members who has the wherewital to run the Streets of Willow on Saturday, and attend the Woodley Park Queens English car show on Sunday--with the same car. Good luck with that!

Some old Streets of Willow photos below.

DSCN9989.JPG

DSCN9992 - Copy.JPG

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More pics of Tigers at Willow- The first pic is from '91 on the big track. The second pic is from '93, once again the big track; also, a pic from that same day of my Tiger surrounded by red Tigers. The last photo is from '95, I believe it was on the big track. I think we turned the cars around on the straight away to take advantage of the sun for the photos.

Tigers at Willow '91.JPG

Tigers at Willow '93.JPG

Tigers at Willow 93.JPG

Tigers at Willow '95.jpg

Dan MacMedan

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for these great photos and memories! Really looking forward to seeing who can come out. Don't hesitate to come and attend even without taking your car on the track! $20 to get in but there will be plenty of stuff to look at and we'll have a good base camp going! Bring sunscreen and a hat and a chair at least!

Dan MacMedan
CAT President

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe there was a good turnout of Sunbeams and Sunbeam racers at the event ... 2 BP Tigers and 2 FP alpines... And some supporting road cars.

@Danno66 I believe you may have some pics and vids to share... šŸ„¹

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's a couple I took just in the paddock area. Warning- LOUD!

Attachments

• 440668674_7390866007633165_7809358557920585169_n.mp4
    4 MB
  • 10000000_7251906904921164_468070134992763092_n.mp4
    14.6 MB

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks to everyone who came out and Rooted on the Sunbeams! Great weather, great people and a great time. Special shout-out to Jere T. for driving out with his Tiger, putting in good lap times, driving home and making it to Woodley Park the next day. Dan M (aka Mr. Figerglass) also drove out to both events in his burgandy Tiger. Here are more photos of most of the cars that were on track at LA Shelby Streets of Willow.

DSCN9995.JPG

DSCN9998 - Copy.JPG

DSCN9997 - Copy (2).JPG

DSCN9999 - Copy.JPG

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice pics! That Junkyard Dog Mustang had an ear-piercing exhaust system- even sharper than straight pipes with side-outs!