Spare tire wheel color

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My car has mag wheels but it had no spare. I have purchased an original steel wheel for the spare.

I need tp paint it. My question is, what color were the steel wheels painted originally?
Thanks.

Warren

Gold forum user
Depends

Early a dirty white MK2'S a silver. The paint code is about. My paint guy retired before I could get his eyeball computer like skill to get a formula.

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The Book of Norman says that on 382 cars the spare was painted black then re-sprayed a gray-white on the front. My car is a '66 and that matches what I have.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am sorry but I don't understand.
Do you mean the back of the wheel is black and the front is grey-white?
Also, which 382 cars?
Thanks

KenF

Gold forum user
Here's one of my crusty Mk1 wheels, off-white on the front, black on the back side. I wonder if it's the same color as that Moonstone White used? Later wheels had a different center stamping with a dimple on the outside of each lug hole.

Attachments

• IMG_6224.JPG
    IMG_6224.JPG
    313.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6225.JPG
    IMG_6225.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 81

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Tiger wheels (bar mkii) were "foam grey" which is very much like an off white colour.

This was sprayed on the outer face of the wheel over the base black finish. There is overspray that passes through the holes in the face.

The correct paint colour can be found on the saoca site.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
color

This photo shows the spare tire in one of our series 5 Alpines that was built either 12/8 or 12/09 of 1966. It's an all square corner body as used to build MK 1 A Tigers. The body was restored by Doug at Tiger Auto in Dayton Ohio. The paint color is a formulation they mixed using an original very nice wheel. Doug used black epoxy to first paint the entire wheel. He then painted the front of the wheel using the foam grey and allowed the over spray to drift to the back of the wheel as original. Granted the wheel looks to be more white in the photo but it is very close to the original foam grey.

Attachments

• 100_0553.JPG
    100_0553.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 95

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's Just Paint

My car has mag wheels but it had no spare. I have purchased an original steel wheel for the spare.

I need tp paint it. My question is, what color were the steel wheels painted originally?
Thanks.

#8 Foam Grey is the flavor you want. I did a bunch of them a while ago.

Attachments

• Foggy Wheels.jpg
    Foggy Wheels.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 100

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's Just Paint

#8 Foam Grey is the flavor you want. I did a bunch of them a while ago.
I know this is old, but I wanted to buy a rattle can to paint 1/2 my spare wheel.

Anyway, I have attached two rootes color chips with two photos of wheels. All are supposed to be foam grey/white. What am I missing?
I also attached two rattle can samples. The top looks close to the Original rootes color chips. The bottom one is lighter but a bit too yellow.
Are the rootes paint chips too old and the wheel color is very white?
I have not seen one in person so I cannot comment.

75595ADA-29D2-4978-8E2C-BDE07D1D268E.jpeg

08D1FA63-4BA6-4B8C-8EE3-4FA58E6F3A84.jpeg

6D7C3FF0-3FC1-4679-A1A2-96EEBB8F6BC1.jpeg

A83ED769-0984-4E1F-9693-036B8FA8F4F2.jpeg

53EAC876-9465-4FD2-B5B0-8A2C1B68795A.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I know this is old, but I wanted to buy a rattle can to paint 1/2 my spare wheel.

Anyway, I have attached two rootes color chips with two photos of wheels. All are supposed to be foam grey/white. What am I missing?
I also attached two rattle can samples. The top looks close to the Original rootes color chips. The bottom one is lighter but a bit too yellow.
Are the rootes paint chips too old and the wheel color is very white?
I have not seen one in person so I cannot comment.

View attachment 16063

View attachment 16064

View attachment 16065

View attachment 16066

View attachment 16067
I will post a picture of one of my original painted wheels with a piece of white paper soon. The color samples look very gray to me

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
5504220D-8A68-4CA8-8EC2-8DFAFFFBBE51.jpeg
EA26483C-A378-4079-A2A4-97836283B40C.png
these photos are of the inside of the spare wheel ( tire removed ) the paint is glossy and represents the true color because the tire was removed a few months ago so no fading or weathering. It was taken in very bright sunlight alongside the latest Tiger Tales to represent the shade of white.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks again. I don't think there is a way to get closer to the original color.

Warren

Gold forum user
Steve A. AKA Lord Rootes had some mixed up and may share the formula.
I had some modified oil based paint matched a a regular paint store with their computer. Used on a touch up in a trunk.
An old client of mine could match by eye and make rattle cans too.